We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Kings Cross

Peoria
Level Contributor
106 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near Kings Cross

Hey all:

planning a trip to London for Sept 24 and asking for some help with finding a place near Kings Cross tube station.

Reason being: we are only in London for less than a day - 1 overnight; arrive LHR at 10:30p - and leaving KC for Peterborough Sun nite. According to the GNR website - trains leave fairly often for P. but I couldn't get a price.

My wife and I are looking for a modest place to spend the night (arriving late), have breakfast, and to leave our luggage for the day until we leave for Ptrborough later on Sunday - to be as close as possible to Kings cross station.

How far are Euston Sq. and Russell Sq. from Kings Cross?

Pricewise - I don't know what's reasonable but Premier Travel Inn came up for $144 US.

Thanks for the help

Not sure how much we can see around town on a Sunday.

We want to go to WestMinster Abbey, but not sure what else we can fit into a brief day.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near Kings Cross

The immediate area of Kings cross is not highly spoken of. The Premier Travel Inn is a little further away, this chain is a reasonable standard elsewhere, check the trip advisor comments for this one. 144 US is about what I'd expect but don't expect US value in UK hotels. In my view this hotel and Euston Square are walking distance from Kings Cross, as is Cartwright Gardens a crescent with several good value hotels. Some have shared bathrooms, check for this if it bothers you. Russell Square is a little further. You can check luggage at the station for 5 pounds per piece, saves going back to the hotel. Train fares will be on thetrainline.com

ilford, essex
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near Kings Cross

Hi,

If you don't mind staying in a B&B, there are a wide range of modestly priced and very reasonable hotels on Arygle Square, which is only a 5 minute walk from the station. I study and live in the exact area, so can vouch for that! I would highly recommend either the Albion House Hotel or the Excelsior Hotel, as they are well equipped B&B's, with a price of roughly £60-£70 in September. You can leave your luggage in reception free of charge, and breakfast is provided.

Euston Sq is a 5-10 min walk from Kings Cross, and Russell Square can be accessed within the same walking time.

You could probably have a quick tour of Trafalgar Square in your short day, amongst other things, as they are easily reached.

Hope this helps!

Sarada

Peoria
Level Contributor
106 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near Kings Cross

thanks very much:

I checked the trainline website.

Is that related to the GNR?

The trip duration listed was diferrent - longer.

would you say it's best to purchase the train fare to Peterbrgh ahead of time?

I'm going to look online at some of the hotel choices.

thanks again.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near Kings Cross

Kings Cross isn't as bad an area as it was 5 or 6 years ago. Then the area was infested with junkies and ladies of the night, and was a scary place after dark. However the new Eurostar terminal is being built at St. Pancras station (side by side with Kings Cross station) and in anticipation of this opening next year the police have moved the undesirables elsewhere. Naturally, London does not want to give that sort of first impression to passengers arriving from mainland Europe. I wouldn't have stayed in the area at that time, but stayed there twice last year after receiving a recommendation for the Euston Novotel. My general impression is that the neighbourhood has been transformed an it looks quite safe now. The hotel itself is a very nice, clean and modern place, directly opposite the Premier Travel Inn and I would have no hesitation in recommending it. I think it may be slightly more expensive than Premier but it looks a much better bet from the outside, and I think it would definitely be worth an extra few pounds a night. Both hotels are located about half way between Kings Cross and Euston stations. You can check out their rates online.

http://www.novotel.com/novotel/index.html

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near Kings Cross

You will get the best price for train tickets booking over 14 days ahead. There is not much point booking further ahead. Prices vary according to how much choice you have over trains to use and how long ahead you book. The website will usually offer you a collection facility - in the UK this is from a machine in the station and you put in the credit card you booked with and a booking code that you get from the website when booking. BUT there is often work on the line on Sundays so the trains may be changed and/or a bus run instead. You could try checking on this about a month before - I guess that now they won't know which areas they will be repairing in September. The repairs are usually complete before the evening but sometimes run on late.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near Kings Cross

All the posts above good.

Kings Cross no longer seedy, just huge building site.

The area is OK at night, just common sense about keeping to main roads & not go exploring dark alleys & building sites looking for 'interesting people'.

Recent posts have mentioned Argyle Hotel.

Cartwright Garden hotels are quite nice looking but I cannot comment on facilities. Plenty of cafes & indie restaurants up the road in Marchmont Street & Tavistock Place.

Do search this forum for 'Kings Cross' to get recent trip reports.

For absolute ease, consider the all new Premier Travel Inn right next to Kings Cross rail, on top of KX tube & with plenty of buses stopping outside the rail station. There's a restaurant bar underneath the PTI hotel with a Tesco Metro store next door. You'll also find a Pret & Starbucks on the corner so all your noshing & sloshing can be done without trawling through local streets (not yet fully vamped) or going along Euston Rd or up to Angel.

There's a nice Pizza Express on Euston Road opp. the British Library.

Colleagues have stayed in Novotel & say it is OK.

Plenty open on Sunday. There have been posts about Sunday, so make sure you search. Almost everything you want to do can be done on a Sunday, but opening hours are shorter e.g. 10 - 4.

Toronto
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near Kings Cross

If this helps:

I stayed at the Alhambra on Argyle Street in April. About 45GBP - English breakfast included. The room I was in had a shower, no tub. The room was larger than I expected - showing its age but clean.

Steps away from a Burger King, McD's close by. Also a few pubs.

Construction all around.

Quick walk to King's Cross station - don't even have to deal with traffic as there is a walkway that goes under Euston Road.

Also a quick-ish walk to Russel Square if you've a reason to go there. (I made the walk a couple times for bookshops....and because I was lost.)

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near Kings Cross

Russell Square is a short walk from Kings Cross provided your suitcaase has wheels.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel near Kings Cross

Far too involved in something & I missed the usual stop, so I ended up getting off the bus at the stop at the side of Kings Cross rail station ...& slap bang opposite the Premier Travel Inn.

Popped in for a moment. All brand spanking new.

The integrated Waiting Room restaurant bar looks fine, has a broad menu offering steaks/grills (£12 approx.), pizzas & all day breakfasts (£6.05).

The Tesco Metro next door has a very good selection of sandwiches, fruits & snacks - perfect for a rail ride.

For a single night (or more) it'll be fine.

*Kings X underneath Kings X rail station.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel near Kings Cross

HI

If all you want is a cheap overnight bed before moving on try Travelodge - https://www.travelodge.co.uk

Similar distance from the station as the PremierTravelInn.

And if you check for the Supersaver rooms you'll find one for as little £26 if you're quick! (50 bucks!)

Am sure if you drop them an email they'll be able to confirm leaving luggage or check it in at the Station is 250 yards away.

Cheers