We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 1/2 day itinerary - please critique

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
79 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
3 1/2 day itinerary - please critique

Husband and I (23 / 25) will be in London 12-20 – 12-24 before heading to Edinburgh to see family.

We plan to book the Apex Temple Court – rate and location are great for us

TENTATIVE ITINERARY

Plenty of time to make changes, please give feedback on each day if possible!

12-20 – arrival day, no set plans.

Options include: HoHo bus, walking tour with London Walks or a city orientation with Peter Berthoud

I love to stay moving on arrival day, Hubby likes to rest, so I’m going to try to accommodate him without losing a whole day to napping.

Suggestions welcome!

12-21

(this day depends on us getting tickets for a parliament tour – tickets are not yet available past October.)

Parliament tour

Westminster Abbey with verger tour

Westminster Cathedral / tower views

London Eye? (a must-do for me, not sure when to fit it in)

AND / OR

Walking past Buckingham Palace / Horse Guards

Walking to Trafalgar Square / Piccadilly / Soho

- What are the attractions here? We like to shop, wander, eat, drink… haven’t researched these areas yet

12-22

Tower of London at opening

suggestions for evening activity?

12-23

Leavesden Studio Tour (not sure if I am set on this)

Book of Mormon at 730

THANKS TALF!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
534 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 1/2 day itinerary - please critique

12/21 looks about perfect. that is what we fit in in one of our days. You'll love it- amazing. Plenty of things to see if you walk up when done w Westminster - walk past no 10 downing to trafalgar. Lots of shops, coffee & tea places, etc.

12/22 - bundle up for the Tower - def cold! Great experience though - do the Yeoman Tour if you can. That may take you 3-4 hours. It's kind of off by itself. The HMS Belfast is there, but not much else. I'd suggest something more "in town" or by your hotel.... I love the national portrait gallery or national gallery - right there at Trafalgar Square.

12/23 - you mean the tour w Harry Potter & Batman? Let me know (You can send a msg) as we're doing it tomorrow.

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
552 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 1/2 day itinerary - please critique

You have more than enough to do and if you could squeeze in Covent Garden then it's just a case of dividing it all between the days, it's near Christmas so busy and the weather could hamper activities.

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 1/2 day itinerary - please critique

I think it looks good.

Christmas-time is lovely in London. You should take some time one evening to walk about and see the Christmas lights in Oxford Circus/Piccadilly Circus/Carnaby Street/Regent street. You could also maybe check out the Christmas markets at Southbank.

There is lots to see at Trafalgar square - we don't really like indoor things (galleries etc) but we still love it just for the outdoor bits. Walk from there, down through Leicester Square and have a peek in Covent Garden Market since you say you enjoy shopping. There are also lots of nice places to eat there.

Again, since you like shopping, it might be worth going to Harrod's if you have time to have a look. There are also a few museums down there (not my thing but might be yours) and the natural history museum has an outdoor skating rink outside that's nice to look at even if you don't want to skate.

Hope you have a great time.

Dotti

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 1/2 day itinerary - please critique

Be prepared to be flexible with the London Eye. Obviously the best time would be where you have it, just after Parliament and Westminster Abbey since it's just across Westminster Bridge. However the most important thing IMO is good weather. If it's mizzly or very cloudy it won't be as good as when you ride when it is clear. Since it's a must do for you, if the weather doesn't cooperate on your Westminster day, perhaps be prepared to go back to that area another time for the ride. Having said that, knowing London weather, you may end up doing the ride in less than ideal conditions. Good luck.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 1/2 day itinerary - please critique

Westmister Cathedral is the Roman Catholic one - a totally different place and a lot less old than Westminster Abbey which is Church of England.

Be aware that trains and planes are very busy on Christmas Eve. I suggest you book a ticket as soon as possible so as not to be disappointed. The train network closes early on Christmas Eve and no trains run on Christmas Day or Boxing Day, the latter being a public holiday in England but not in Scotland. Booking early will also get the best price.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,530 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 1/2 day itinerary - please critique

It is a bit unclear to me from your original post...are you planning travel for December 24 or December 25?

(holds breath)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 1/2 day itinerary - please critique

Laura, it looks like the OP is heading north to be with family for Christmas. I'm assuming on Christmas Eve because they haven't included London sight-seeing on the 24th.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
79 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 1/2 day itinerary - please critique

Londonlass you are correct. since posting i have booked flight and stay at the Apex for 12-20 -- 12-24

we are hoping to take train to Edinburgh after check out on the 24th. i know i cant book these yet, i think i can look for the tickets in October?

I would love to add in Covent Garden, not sure if i can stand temptation at Harrods - i do enjoy outdoor ice skating

We are not very into museums, much prefer walking tours / local history "lessons"

I REALLY hope to fit in at least one walking tour (with Londonwalks, or Peter Berthoud)

The Harry Potter tour we plan to take is the Warner Bros. Tour - hate to lose an entire day to this but i much prefer this tour to most museums.

(We fly out of EDI on 12-28)

Peapod, thanks for reviving my thread - thought id have to repost closer to the trip!

London, England
Level Contributor
271 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 1/2 day itinerary - please critique

When we travel to our relatives for Christmas we dont leave it until Christmas Eve in case of snow etc - not so disastrous for us because we can stay at home but nightmarish for you. Book the earliest train you can just in case and keep an eye on the situation and be prepared to book a last minute coach etc if needed.

We had to do that last year down to Cardiff as the trains werent running. very frustrating.

I find the US way of writing dates really difficult to decipher but then I am very dim ;-) if you post lots of threads would you consider writing them the other way round for eejits like me?

10. Re: 3 1/2 day itinerary - please critique

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 06:20