We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hats

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Hats

We have some family over from the USA. As a day out on Saturday we took them on a trip which included a guided tour around the Palace of Westminster.

As it was so hot, all of our group were wearing hats. When we got into the palace we were pounced on by some 'jobsworth' who demanded that our headgear was removed. Had he just said that this is a Royal Palace and would we please remove our hats, then we would happily of acquiesced. His whole attitude, however was aggressive to the point of scaring the youngest member of our party, a little 6 year old girl.

It's about time that these trumped up little twerps realised that their job is to assist members of the public and not bully them.

Whilst I am on about this, has anybody seen the accumulation of rubbish overflowing the bins at Westminster Pier - it is appalling

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hats

Surely it is basic good manners to remove headgear when entering any building, without needing to be told ?

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hats

It is also basic good manners to ask someone politely if they would mind doing something, niot barking at them like some regimental sergeant major - especially when there is a child involved

I also think that you are living in a bygone age where you say people remove hats when entering a building. Go into any pub in London on a hot hay and I am sure that you will see people wearing their sun hats

Edited: 16 July 2013, 09:05
London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hats

If you fail to show respect for the building and institution you are visiting by removing hats, then it seems perfectly reasonable that such disrespect will be reciprocated. Comparison with a pub is just crass

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hats

With respect, I think you are missing the point that I am making.

The attitude of the official was the problem here. Had he asked politely if we would please remove our hats, nobody would have raised an eyebrow. It was his manner of addressing our party, which included young children, to which I took exception.

Now that is what I call crass

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hats

So complain.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hats

we have

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hats

I doubt that this is a matter of politeness or otherwise - I assume that there will be CCTV in the building which is markedly less useful if heads are covered, so he may have been enforcing rules rather than respect. Not really any excuse for rudeness but everyone has a bad day sometimes.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hats

I was always under the impression that men were to remove their hats when going inside but women kept them on. That said, in the US military, men and women both remove hats when going inside. However, hats don't feature as much in US wardrobes except for when it's very sunny or cold, in which case I would remove the hat just because it's not generally sunny or cold inside. It would be nice to be told of this politely, however. Yesterday I was at St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall and there were signs requesting that people remove hats as a sign of respect. I don't think it differentiated between men and women. I suppose if there were signs about removing hats, perhaps the staff would be less patient with people who didn't do as instructed (like the people who take photos where they are not permitted, often even with the sign in the photo).

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,882 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hats

I suspect as with much in life there are two sides to this story.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hats

I'm pretty sure it was for security reasons, you don't know what sort of day he was having, security could have been on a more intence level that day? I wouldn't take it personally.