We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Ham or Arsenal

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
West Ham or Arsenal

I will be in London the weekend of 31/8 - 1/9. Both Arsenal and West Ham are playing at home. Arsenal vs. Spurs is clearly a better game than West Ham vs. Stoke. However, we are more concerned with attending a game with great atmosphere and a great Premier League game day experience than we are with the actual match-up. It will be me, my wife, and our 17 year old son. Any suggestions on which would be the better choice for us?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,875 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: West Ham or Arsenal

As Joe says, there is virtually no chance of getting tickets for Arsenal v Spurs. There is also Palace v Sunderland, but as I pointed out on another thread you'd have to buy a Palace membership (£25pp) in order to be eligible to buy tickets (with no guarantee you'd actually get them).

West Ham is realistically your only chance for a Premier League game. Failing that, there's also Charlton v Leicester in the Championship, Brentford v Carlisle in League 1, AFC Wimbledon v Fleetwood in League 2 and Barnet v Hyde in the Conference (all on Saturday) - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc…

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: West Ham or Arsenal

I remember American TV personality Adam Richman (Man vs Food)being interviewed last season after attending the North London derby the day before. He was surprised, even shocked, at the level of animosity between the two sets of fans.

To be honest it's mostly handbags and is certainly nothing to concern the ordinary spectator - but I mention it as its not the atmosphere you might be expecting. Football can have an "edge" over here - and that's one of the things I like about it.

Mike

West Lawn...
Level Contributor
160 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: West Ham or Arsenal

If you buy three Arsenal red memberships and be on line, ready to purchase tickets the minute they go on sale you MIGHT have a chance of getting tickets to Arsenal/Spurs. Having been to a North London derby I can assure you that its a fantastic atmosphere. West Ham would be a good option if Arsenal/Spurs doesn't work out. Although, IMO Stoke doesn't play the most attractive football.

Belek, Antalya
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: West Ham or Arsenal

It doesn't matter which match you go to, expect a lot of fruity language! West Ham and Stoke both have a few thugs but the area outside the ground will be well policed and there is very rarely trouble inside UK stadiums anymore. You should enjoy the game, just don't refer to it as soccer!!

Hayes, England...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: West Ham or Arsenal

My choice is Arsenal.

New York
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: West Ham or Arsenal

Thanks for all the comments! I am going to do the West Ham game. My choice seems to be between the Upper East Stand (ES3 or ES9), Row M-N, or Row Z in the Upper West in the middle of the pitch. Any opinions on where to sit? I want to be near the atmosphere, but do not want to stand the entire game. Also, does the roof in the East Stand around Row M block off any of the view of the rest of the grounds?

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,386 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: West Ham or Arsenal

Confusingly while football grounds in the PL still have stands you can't actually stand in any. All seater stadium were made compulsory after hilsborough football disaster. Many fans do stand in their seats but clubs get into trouble for persistant standing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: West Ham or Arsenal

What makes you think you would have to stand the entire game? Football stadia in the Premier League are all-seater, and in fact persistent standing is usually against the ground regulations.

In terms of seating, I don't know the Boleyn Ground itself, but when I attend a football match I always like to be seated as close to the halfway line as possible.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: West Ham or Arsenal

Owl - maybe because the seats are in an area labelled 'the Stands' and, being American, he may not have kept up with every nuance of British football of the last couple of decades......

New York
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: West Ham or Arsenal

I have read that fans often stand in some sections because they choose to, not because they have to. I am aware that the stadium is an all-seater.