We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to travel from London Tate Britain area to Portsmouth?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Topic
How to travel from London Tate Britain area to Portsmouth?

I would like to spend the day in Portsmouth and see the naval museum sights, historical ships and Southwick House. My hotel is near the Tate Britain area. Any advice on how to get there and transportation price please.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,006 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to travel from London Tate Britain area to Portsmouth?

Book yourself a cheap train ticket from Waterloo with Megabus who, despite the name, do sell SOME train tickets

London
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to travel from London Tate Britain area to Portsmouth?

The trains run from Waterloo to Portsmouth. They run through Vauxhall station, very near your hotel, but don't stop there. You may want to head to Vauxhall and head up to Waterloo on a local train in order to join the Portsmouth train. Getting on at the first stop ensures choice of seats.

The Megatrain deal can be astonishingly cheap, but is totally inflexible. If you want the flexibility to make your day as long or short as your impulse tajes, buy the 'off peak day return' ticket.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,289 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to travel from London Tate Britain area to Portsmouth?

Is it just you, or will you be traveling with others? There are deals around for combined rail/docks entry and also 2-4-1 deals available.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to travel from London Tate Britain area to Portsmouth?

Two adults going.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to travel from London Tate Britain area to Portsmouth?

Southwick House is not actually in Portsmouth but a few miles to the north, how do you intend getting there, public transport MAY take up a lot of your day.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to travel from London Tate Britain area to Portsmouth?

To save time, I would probably take a taxi to Southwick House, making that my last excursion of the day then back to the Portsmouth train station for the return to Waterloo Station.

7. Re: How to travel from London Tate Britain area to Portsmouth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 07:19