We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Eurostar - changing trains?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,919 posts
307 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving Eurostar - changing trains?

I will arrive in London early on a Wednesday morning in October from Paris. I have a NZ passport. How long will it take me to clear customs and change to Paddington Station for a train to Devon as I want to book that train in order to give the rental car company a time?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving Eurostar - changing trains?

You will go through UK immigration at Paris Gare du Nord. After alighting from Eurostar you'll walk through the Customs hall and straight thorugh to the concourse of St Pancras.

Time needed to travel to Paddington will depend on how you wish to travel from one station to the other. Let us know the time of day you've booked to arrive from Paris and how you plan to travel from St Pancras to Paddington.

Edited: 21 July 2013, 04:39
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,919 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving Eurostar - changing trains?

Thank you for your quick reply. I arrive at 9am. I have no idea how to get to Paddington. When I made the booking, I thought the Eurostar arrived at Paddington.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,919 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving Eurostar - changing trains?

Ah ha, I have found a trip search application that recommends either the #205 bus (stair free) or the H&C line (some stairs). I will be travelling relatively light - but with a wheelie suitcase, say 15 Kg, because this is the last stage of a 6 week trip. Which do you recommend? The bus sounds easier. I am used to stations without escalators as even in China some stations don't have them at every exit.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
235 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving Eurostar - changing trains?

A few minutes walk to Kings Cross Station and then underground on the Circle or Hammersmith and City Line in the direction of Hammersmith, journey of about 10/15 mins on the underground.

You are arriving at a busy time and the underground will be busy so you might want to consider a black cab which would cost you in the region of £11/15.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving Eurostar - changing trains?

Thank you.

I'd take the 205. The Underground is no more than five minutes' walk from Eurostar arrivals, and the 205 will be a bit slower, but I think it's an easier journey, even with bags in tow.

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/king… Stop A is right across the road from St Pancras. The 205 terminates at stop F in Praed Street - from the stop follow the crowds across the road for the ramp down from Praed Street to the rail station concourse. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…paddington.pdf

I wwould allow 45 minutes for the journey from St Pancras to Paddington, perhaps book a train from the latter station departing at 1000. The Eurostar trains I've taken have been on time arriving and departing, but build in a bit of extra time - better to have it and not need it - so you can buy a cup of tea at Paddington before your next journey.

London
Level Contributor
9,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving Eurostar - changing trains?

"You will go through UK immigration at Paris Gare du Nord"

On my Eurostar trip last month, we went through UK immigration in France, then were checked on the train then had to go through the process yet again at St Pancras. That really slowed the arrivals process. It certainly doesn't happen to every train, but if it does happen with your train you need to allow at least an extra half hour.

7. Re: Arriving Eurostar - changing trains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 December 2015, 22:41
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,473 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving Eurostar - changing trains?

You can only do that if you book through the UK version of the Eurostar website.

9. Re: Arriving Eurostar - changing trains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 December 2015, 22:40
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,919 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving Eurostar - changing trains?

Very helpful, unfortunately I have already booked my Eurostar ticket. I am surprised that after 9 is still peak hour on the Tube I am used to that in China where shops don't open until 10 or even 11 but I thought on previous trips to London, that evrybody was at work by 9am. I still think I'll go with the 205 bus & enjoy the view!!