We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Questions for London Experts

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute Questions for London Experts

Hi everyone. I've been on here quite a bit the last couple of weeks and everyone's been very helpful. We are leaving for London this Saturday (can't believe it's here!) and I have some questions as I try to firm up last minute details.

We have tickets to the HP Studio Tour. Do I need to buy my train tickets in advance, or will day of be okay? If I purchase the tickets in advance, are they only good for a particular train (time) ? (There are two trains that could work for us that day). I would rather purchase once we're there, unless that will be a problem.

I will be staying at 40 Elm Park Gardens in Chelsea. Victoria seems to be the nearest rail station where I can purchase a 7-Day Travelcard, Is this correct? Of course, to get to Victoria, we will need to take a bus--can we pay that in cash as we board?

We are thinking of doing the Original Sightseeing Tour the day we get in (depending on if we're up for it). I don't want to purchase the tickets online, since I'm not sure if we're definitely doing it. Can I only purchase them at their main location in Picadilly Circus, or can they be purchased at any of the 5 departure points? (One of which is near Victoria Station, so that might be easier).

Finally, I'm firming up a loose itinerary. We will be there for 11 days with two teenagers--18 & 15. I'm thinking the maximum amount of larger museums we'd want to visit is three or 4 (so as not to bore them to death). I definitely have the V&A on the list, since we would like to try to see the David Bowie exhibit, if we can get tickets. My husband is interested in the British Museum and the Tate Modern. I was considering either the National Gallery or National Portrait Gallery. I don't want to spend the entire time in museums, so any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. I'm sure this isn't the last you'll hear from me!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,629 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute Questions for London Experts

Here is the Harry Potter answer - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2691242-d2147749/Lea…

At Euston (assuming you have already have zones 1&2 travelcards) you will need to buy extension tickets from the suburban ticket office located by platforms 8-11. It makes no sense to buy in advance and you can travel on any train...just make sure you get a fast one that takes around 15-20 minutes.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute Questions for London Experts

You can buy train tickets on the day for HP - it's a commuter line with no reservations possible.

For London buses you either pay at a machine before boarding (central London) or if there is no machine (further out) pay the driver. Don't know what category Chelsea is in - probably the latter.

Machines require exact change in coins for each ticket - drivers won't have much change but will give it where possible

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,205 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute Questions for London Experts

Take the 211 from Beaufort Street to Victoria for purchase of paper Travelcards. SW10 is well outside the zone where payment before boarding should be necessary, but please ensure you have coins to pay the driver for the journey. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/chel…

The hop on hop off tour bus stops near Green Park, Marble Arch and the Tower usually have staff lurking nearby to answer questions and sell tickets before the buses arrive. Some roads around Victoria station are in a state right now, but there is still pedestrian access to Grosvenor Gardens.

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute Questions for London Experts

Thank you!

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute Questions for London Experts

Thank you!

Edited: 22 July 2013, 20:44
6. Re: Last Minute Questions for London Experts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 05:16