We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick Transfers

Wick
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick Transfers

Looking at transfers to and from Gatwick to central London, it seems the Gatwick Express will be £60 return for the two of us. Is there cheaper modes of transport?, don't mind if it takes a bit longer.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick Transfers

Southern and FCC trains are both cheaper

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick Transfers

And take only 5-10 minutes more.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,331 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick Transfers

Where in central London is your destination? Gatwick Express isn't the best option and the Southern and First Capital Connect trains will take you to London Bridge, Blackfriars, City Thameslink and St Pancras

Southern Trains take you to Victoria much cheaper than the GEX

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,285 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick Transfers

Where in central London are you staying (as Dicanio asks), and when (dates and times) are you arriving and departing?

You most definitely don't need, nor want the Gatwick Express. Both the regular Southern trains to Victoria, and the First Capital Connect service via London Bridge, the City and St. Pancras are cheaper, easier (much easier to get luggage onto the regular trains) and in some cases faster (and at worst 8 minutes slower) than the over hyped and over priced GEX.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick Transfers

Just a word of warning, from about 7.30-9.30 in the morning alltrains leaving Gatwick for London are full of commuters from further south. So if you get through the airport formalities by this period, it is probably advisable to han around the airport and have some breakfast.

Wick
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick Transfers

Thanks for the info. I'm staying at myhotel, Bayley St which is in Bloomsbury I think or nearby. I'm arriving at 3.15pm into Gtawick midweek and returning on a 11.30am flight a few days later

London
Level Contributor
10,168 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick Transfers

Take the 'FCC' service towards Bedford, get off at St Pancras. A single will be £10, but much better value is the 'FCC all zone travelcard' at £13. That covers the train ride, plus any bus train tube for the rest of arrival day.

This is both cheaper and more convenient than trains to Victoria. The FCC trains run every 15 minutes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick Transfers

Sorry, guys, to jump into your conversation, but I just have a similar dilemma : fliging tomorrow (25th) into Gatswick airport at noon and need to get to hotel The Jade in Kensington and Chelsea ! We are two 65 years old with big suitcases !!! Panic time - what to do best ?? RM

London, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick Transfers

Try the Easybus service. It would just cost £30 return for two of you. I have travelled once. Tickets will be sold out soon. So it's best to book in advance.

London
Level Contributor
10,168 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick Transfers

Easybus? Please read reports on threads here. It has a terrible reputation. And the road journey (even if the bus leaves on time) is a miserable and traffic infested experience.