We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filing a formal complaint against a blue badge tour guide?

El Cajon...
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Filing a formal complaint against a blue badge tour guide?

Is there a specific organization I should go to to file a complaint against a blue badge holding tour guide? This man needs to be held accountable for his unprofessional and rude behavior. Is there a union or a guild or government agency or something that tour guides must belong to if they lead tours in the U.K.?

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Filing a formal complaint against a blue badge tour guide?

http://www.britainsbestguides.org/.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Filing a formal complaint against a blue badge tour guide?

The guide in question could be a member of the Association of Professional Tourist Guides or a member of The Guild of Registered Tourist Guides or neither. If they are registered with one or both of the above then they will be on the database and you could continue from there.

The Blue Badge is an exam set up to train tourist guides independent of the Government and isn't a requirement like a driving licence or law degree. You can guide without one, but if this person is a Blue Badge guide then they should be easy to find.

El Cajon...
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Filing a formal complaint against a blue badge tour guide?

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. Hopefully both those entities will have websites I can make inquiries to. Aside from this horrible tour guide, my trip to London, York, and Edinburgh, Scotland was wonderful. I and my family enjoyed our trip to the utmost.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,411 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Filing a formal complaint against a blue badge tour guide?

Tour guides in the United Kingdom are entirely unregulated. Anyone can call themselves a Tour Guide and offer tours.

However if the Guide holds a badge issued by the Institute of Tourist Guiding he/she will have undertaken a rigorous process of study and examinations - both written and practical. Also he/she will pay an annual subscription to the Institute of Tourist Guiding and agree to be bound by their rules and guidelines, including those which refer to professional conduct.

El Cajon...
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Filing a formal complaint against a blue badge tour guide?

Thank you very much.

El Cajon...
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Filing a formal complaint against a blue badge tour guide?

This is very good information to know. Thank you. As far as I have been able to find out so far, the man works for guide London...

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Filing a formal complaint against a blue badge tour guide?

What happened, MaryAnn? Inquiring minds want to know.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Filing a formal complaint against a blue badge tour guide?

It is my understanding that all Blue Badge holders in London are members of Guide London. However, I believe that responsibility for professional standards rests with the Institute of Tourist Guiding. See: itg.org.uk/media/11017/professional_code_of_… It seems that you should complain in writing to the Institute, which will investigate your complaint, and which has the capacity to apply a range of sanction against members found guilty of a breach of standards. There is a contact form on the website: www.itg.org.uk/contact-us/contact-form.aspx.

You do not give any indication of the nature of his behaviour, except that you considered him to be unprofessional and rude. Depending upon the exact nature of this behaviour, you may also wish to consider whether you ought to make a complaint to the Metropolitan Police (for example, if he expressed hatred towards you because of your ethnic background, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, membership of a particular cultural group, or because you have a disability, or if he demonstrated any unwanted sexual behaviour towards you, or if you were assaulted in any way).

El Cajon...
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Filing a formal complaint against a blue badge tour guide?

Thank you very much for your response. I will be contacting the Institute of Touring Standards immediately as I strongly believe they will want to know about what occurred.

I would post the details here on Trip Advisor regarding what happened but I want to give the employers of this individual the chance to investigate the matter first.

Aside from the man being unprofessional and rude, I think the incident may also fall under discrimination due to disability so I will also speak with the Metropolitan Police to see if they think its a matter they should also pursue.

I want to once again thank everyone who took a moment to respond to my post. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I want to also thank Trip Advisor for giving travelers the resources to make travel better for everyone.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Filing a formal complaint against a blue badge tour guide?

The police only have jurisdiction where you are alleging a crime, e.g. if you are alleging that your tour guide used particular words towards you (or whoever else) that were particularly hurtful on account of a disability. If what you are alleging is a form of discrimination, but not a crime, then the police will probably just suggest that you seek a remedy in the County Court. I should say that I have no training in English law, which is the law that would apply in this case, of course, so this is just the opinion of an informed layperson, and if you intend to pursue this further you may need to use the services of a solicitor, or at the very least post some details on a legal forum, where you will get more expert advice.