We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR to London, oyster/travelcards for family

Maryland
Level Contributor
593 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
LHR to London, oyster/travelcards for family

Three adults (one is 19) and one child (15) arriving LHR T3 at 1510 on a Thursday. Going to Crowne Plaza the City at 19 New Bridge St. via tube. Same night we will take tube from Blackfriars tube station to Victoria tube station and return. We do not plan any other tube or bus travel while in London. We cannot use 2for1 offers.

I assume we should purchase oyster for the 3 adults and one day travelcard for the 15 year old. Is this correct? How much money do you think we should load on the oyster cards?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR to London, oyster/travelcards for family

Oyster will charge £3 for the trip into London and £2.10 for each of the zone 1 journeys - so £7.20 a head is what the journeys will cost you

London
Level Contributor
10,336 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR to London, oyster/travelcards for family

The Oyster fare from LHR is £3 off peak or £5 peak. Peak period is 1600 to 1900. If you're due to land at 1510, I think you will be travelling in the peak window, so that leg will be £5. With your other travels, you'll cap at £8.50 total for the day.

That said, if this really is the only travel you'll do in London, I'd suggest just buying a paper travel card for everyone at LHR. It'll cost a few pence more (£8.90 per adult) , but saves the time/hassle of paying the Oyster deposit then having to reclaim that when you leave.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR to London, oyster/travelcards for family

<< Peak period is 1600 to 1900. If you're due to land at 1510, I think you will be travelling in the peak window,>>

Travelling INTO zone 1 in the evening peak is charged at the off peak rate for some bizarre reason.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR to London, oyster/travelcards for family

< We cannot use 2for1 offers. >

Why not?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR to London, oyster/travelcards for family

>> We do not plan any other tube or bus travel while in London. <<

Really? How long are you here for?

Maryland
Level Contributor
593 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LHR to London, oyster/travelcards for family

Thanks for your assistance. The info about oyster cost for traveling INTO zone 1 at peak time is very useful and something I did not glean from oyster website.

We cannot use 2for1 offers, because the only potentially applicable location on our travel list is the Tower of London, which does not offer the 2for1 in August.

We do not plan other tube or bus transport because we're only in London for 24 hours. The following day we will walk from our hotel to the Tower of London and to Borough Market. Later that afternoon we take the train to Dover, depart on a cruise, and do not return to the UK.

7. Re: LHR to London, oyster/travelcards for family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 06:21