We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London city airport and oyster card

sicilia
Level Contributor
486 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
London city airport and oyster card

Hello everybody

My family and I will arrive at London City Airport,I have never been there and I need your help.

We are staying for a week near King's cross .My questions are:

- Is it ok If I take the DLR till Bank and then take the northern line?

- AS we want to take advantage of the 2 for 1 offer we need to buy the travelcard at a train station.

Is it possible to buy a valid Travelcard at the airport or Do We need to buy a single ticket and then buy the valid travelcars at King's cross?

-Do I still need a passport photo to buy the travelcard valid for the 2 for 1?

-DO I have to use a photocopy of the photo I got on my passport or Can I use a new photo?

thanks.

laura

London
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London city airport and oyster card

You can buy a travelcard at City Airport, but it won't qualify for 2-4-1 offers. What time do you land, and what are your travel plans for the rest of arrival day? It might still be worth buying a one day travelcard.

The interchange at Bank is not the best. There is a staircase from the DLR to the Northern Line but it is busy (claustrophobic in rush hour) and not suitable with luggage. If you do have luggage, take the escalator towards the Central line, then at the top of the escalator turn right to the northern line. That's a fraction further, but much much easier with luggage.

A photo is needed if you're buying a weekly (or longer) travelcard at a rail station, not needed if you're buying a one-day card.

sicilia
Level Contributor
486 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London city airport and oyster card

Hello rospeirs.

Thanks for your answer. The plane will land at 11.30 .

I will have to make some considerations before chosing between the 2 -4-1 travelcard and the ordinary one.

I need it because my mom and my sister may want to use it for madame Tussaud and the tower of London but I have already been there so I won't need it.

I 'll give a look at the map and see which is the other option to Bank station.My Mum has some back issues so Steep stairs should be avoided.

thanks.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London city airport and oyster card

To answer your last question - it doesn't need to be the photo from your passport

London
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London city airport and oyster card

An arrival at 1130 - shouldn't be too crowded.

Here's a suggestion. If you're not planning on visiting any of the 2-4-1 attractions on arrival day, just buy the one day travelcards (for all) at LCY. Then buy at Kings Cross National Rail station (for the next day).

If you do want to use the 2-4-1 on arrival day, park two of the party at the airport (there's a cafe in between the airport entrance and the DLR station). One person buys a travelcard (which won't qualify for 2-4-1 but you said you don't need that for everyone). Take DLR to Woolwich Arsenal. (Two stops, only five minutes away). That's a national rail station (make sure you go to the National Rail ticket office) and buy the travelcards there - then retrace back to the airport and pick up the others.

5. Re: London city airport and oyster card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 05:18