We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car services between London and airports

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Topic
car services between London and airports

I'd like to hear from anyone who has hired cars and drivers with both Just Airports and Expressways to take them between London and either Heathrow or Gatwick Airport. In particular, how do you compare the two companies on service and reliability?

California
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car services between London and airports

We've used Just Airports many times without any issues. They are always waiting for us at the terminal and have always picked us up right on time for the return journey back to LHR. I've always pre-booked online from the states without any issues. I have no complaints.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 18:00
London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: car services between London and airports

I would think more in terms of the train to Gatwick. Its distance from London and the endless South London sprawl mean that a car service cannot hope to compete in terms of the time it takes (or cost, of course).

Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car services between London and airports

Thanks a lot.

Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car services between London and airports

You're surely right about time and cost. Only problem is that we will be carrying some heavy bags and we're not as young as we used to be.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car services between London and airports

Yes, very few people would take a car service from Gatwick due to a long and tedious journey subject to random road delays. Even if money is no object, train followed by a taxi would be preferable for most unless you just cannot manage your luggage.

Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: car services between London and airports

You're right of course, but note that the cost difference between one of these car services and the Gatwick Express, plus a taxi to one's hotel in London, is very small. So we're dealing with a longer more comfortable trip vs a shorter less comfortable one, rather than price.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car services between London and airports

The journey along the A23 and M23 for the last section can be terrible and stop start for a lot of the trip depending on time and day. Don't use the Gatwick Express as it's more expensive than using the normal Southern train services for which you could pay as little as £5 per person if you are willing to pre-book and stick to a specific train.

One thing I notice about the GEX is the doors to enter the carriage, they are a lot narrower and you have to climb up a couple of steps compared with the wide doors and only the step from the platform onto the level floor of the standard Southern service trains.

Whereabouts in London are you staying as there could be alternative routes?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car services between London and airports

I think train would be pretty comfortable as long as not travelling at peak time. Comfort for me is also a matter of tedium, I'd find 2 hours stuck in a car uncomfortable due to that, compared to 35 minutes on a train and 15 in a taxi. FWIW the recommendation here is not to use the GEX, its double the price to save 5 minutes and is also used by commuters so at peak times, is rammed. Pity as it used to be Gatwick-London only so whilst expensive, was fast and roomy, but not any more.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car services between London and airports

We also need a car service from London Marble Arch to Heathrow, for a Wed. 11:40 am international departure to the US. What is the normal drive time and what time would be reasonable for us to leave.

I've had responses from justairports.com and toandfromairport.co.uk with reasonable fees. We are not able to use train or bus.

Any other thoughts/tips for us would be appreciated. Thanks.

10. Re: car services between London and airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:17