We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster Card Travel Card London Pass

Level Contributor
635 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Oyster Card Travel Card London Pass

I need an up to date comparison of London’s Oyster card vs Travel card.

I also need some London Pass advice.

I will be arriving H’Row mid-morning on Sunday Sept 22nd. My hotel is near the British Museum. Current plans are to take the Picadilly tube line in from the airport. Unless someone can offer a better option? Mon, Tues, Weds will be spent visiting the sites of London. Monday I plan to do a HO/HO bus for at least part of the day. So will I need tube travel?? Thursday is a day trip to Stratford & Cotswalds via bus so no travel card needed. Friday I take Eurostar to Paris. Pretty Obvious this is our 1st trip to London.

So here are my basic questions…

#1 Should I consider getting an Oyster card pre-trip to have it ready for the trip in from airport? Or should I just buy Oyster card then or maybe even just pay cash fare for the trip from airport to hotel?

#2 The 3 day Travelcards have been dropped. So if I went with a Travelcard should I buy a 7 day card at a rail station (Euston?) so I could get the 2 for 1 deal? Many of the things I will be doing will be free so I’m still studying this option. Can I buy 1 day travel cards for the 3 days (M,T,W) I would need them with 1 trip to rail station?

#3 The Travelcards are paper vs Plastic Electronic Oyster Card. Bottomline is the Oyster card easier to use? I know stateside the EZ Pass system is far easier & faster than a paper toll ticket. Other than the 2 for 1 deal the actual costs appear similar so should I pick the most convenient?

#4 Do the Oyster Cards sold to visitors ahead of time have the ability to cash out any unused balance? I believe I read some do not cash out? Can cash out be done electronically after my trip?

#5 The London Pass. Some sing its praise others see it as over priced. I’ll figure out the ‘savings’ potential on my own. I’m thinking my savings might be minimal based on places I plan to visit. BUT the London Pass says it has rapid entry, no line at some of the attractions. EX: Tower of London. Is this a perk I might like? We are a retired couple visiting in late September. Long lines would be difficult for us. But will there be the same long lines one might see in July or August? I would think not.

Thank you & your suggestions are always welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,359 Reviews
from US$130.80*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,129 Reviews
from US$139.50*
US$155.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$118.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$348.40*
London
Level Contributor
11,390 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster Card Travel Card London Pass

The visitor Oyster card costs more and does less, and as you noticed you can't get the deposit back, avoid. You can buy an Oyster card on arrival, very quick and easy.

Are Oyster cards easier to use than the paper version? Possibly, but it's a matter of micro seconds rather than a serious decider. People in London use them because they are massively convenient, are cheaper than a paper travelcard (marginal saving, again nothing to get worried about) and can be topped up / managed on line.

The key issue for you seems to be whether you'll benefit from 2-4-1 (hunch, yes you will) which would tip the balance to paper travelcard.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster Card Travel Card London Pass

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c133479/Lon…

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,067 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster Card Travel Card London Pass

< I need an up to date comparison of London’s Oyster card vs Travel card. >

This question was asked about 12 hours ago and nothing has changed since then

If you look at the top of the page under "Top questions about London" two of them are about travel and saving oodles of money

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster Card Travel Card London Pass

The difference in time savings between an Oyster card and a paper travel card is that you simply hold your Oyster up to a yellow button and it "reads" your card, whereas you put your paper ticket into a little slot and it gets spit out on top of the gate (not a great description, I know). Either way, YOU have to stop to go through the gate, unlike the EZPass toll system for driving. On our trip a couple of weeks ago, hubby and I had Oysters and son had a paper travel card. We all got through different gates in the same amount of time.

We are ones who felt we got our money's worth using a London Pass on a previous trip. However, we sat down before we went and thoroughly mapped out where we wanted to go and when, to take best advantage of the LP. AND we were in London twice as long as the duration of the LP. My recommendation, given your trip parameters, would be to use the 2 for 1 offers. I doubt you'll have the same queue issues as visiting at the peak of summer.

Although I haven't tried it with an adult travel card, we were able to purchase several days worth of travel cards for our son with one trip to the station.

Level Contributor
635 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster Card Travel Card London Pass

Thank you Cybored...

Your description of the procedures used for Oyster vs Travelcard were exactly what I needed.

I was worried the Travelcard might be more complicated.

Sure wish the Oyster had the same 2 for 1 deals. Thank you.

BTW What did you do for the arrival fare from Heathrow to London?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster Card Travel Card London Pass

Just buy it. Heathrow is not a train station, so you cannot buy a travelcard, but you can buy a single fare on the tube.

7. Re: Oyster Card Travel Card London Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 06:18