We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of hotels offering car services......

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
Save Topic
Beware of hotels offering car services......

Many hotels will offer you a car/minicab service if you are travelling to an airport.They will quote extortionate rates as the door staff and driver split the money, like £100. Always use a london black cab, they are not as expensive as you will be told.Heathrow will be between £60-£80

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of hotels offering car services......

No, if you want to save money don't use a black cab and don't use a car service provided by the hotel. If you want a car service the best option is to look one up and order the car yourself (and there are plenty of threads about car services if you look in the search box). If budget is important the best solution of all would be to take public transport. Heathrow in particular is easily accessible by Tube and other options.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 14:14
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of hotels offering car services......

Hotels always provide a more expensive service, this happens in hotels the world over, presumably the car service has to give a percentage of fares received to the hotel in return for using them for their guests so they up their fares to cover this. Would never use hotel car/taxi services, always cheaper to DIY.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of hotels offering car services......

Hmm, the advice always to use a black cab to Heathrow must be the worst idea of the week (unless someone comes onto the forum to suggest using the Heathrow Express if staying near Tower Hill). It is a shame, because micken is quite right about not using a car service provided by a hotel. A car service booked yourself will be around £40-£45.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of hotels offering car services......

I've spoken to travellers who have been charged up to £150 for a car service to heathrow from certain hotels, you get a fancy Mercedes driven by some bloke in a primark suit, the charge normally goes onto the hotel bill and they don't realise how much it has cost them until its too late, some business travellers on the other hand couldn't care less as it goes on the company credit card.

Your paying for convenience and a professional driver with black cabs, I don't think it's the worst deal in the world.

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of hotels offering car services......

This is illegal hotels are not licensed operators

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of hotels offering car services......

Thank you sir, that is exactly what you get with one of londons finest

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of hotels offering car services......

Post 1 is correct, ignore op advice.I use black cabs all the time - but never to go from central London to Heath row because it costs about £55 to £65 upwards vs £35 for a good, reliable pre booked car from any of several in my area

So black cab to heath row not such a good idea. Also, not all blackcabs would like to go as picking up for them at heathrow means joining a big pool of other black cabs

Edited: 31 July 2013, 08:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of hotels offering car services......

I agree with the first part, but Black Cabs are also very expensive. I usually book online and prefer two companies: 247 Airport Transport and BA Transfer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,005 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of hotels offering car services......

<<This is illegal hotels are not licensed operators>>

I vey much doubt it is illegal-they will have a sub-contract arrangement with an executive car service of some kind.

Pre booked car is the way to go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of hotels offering car services......

They will have a private hire licence, not the hardest thing in the world to get, my local corner shop has got one.