We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bethnal Green - to stay or not to stay

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Bethnal Green - to stay or not to stay

Hi there,

My husband and I are attending an event in Bethnal Green on a Saturday night in October, expecting kick-out time 11pm. I'm not really familiar with London so wondered I you could advise re the best hotel/s to stay in. Currently torn between getting a hotel in the area (but have heard it's a bit rough? apologies to the locals!) or to get the tube to another area after the event and stay elsewhere? Don't really want to be travelling very far at that time of night.

Help is muchly appreciated!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bethnal Green - to stay or not to stay

Have a look at the Hoxton hotel in shorditch. It will be pretty lively on a sat night but nice hotel and a short distance from BG.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 14:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bethnal Green - to stay or not to stay

Bethnal Green is on the Central Line of the tube so it's easy to get to places like Holborn *(central) or Stratford (cheaper but may be full depending on whether there is an event at the Olympic Park) where there are more hotel options.

Bethnal Green is a bit rough around the edges. In the past few weeks I've noticed an increase in aggressive panhandlers but I've never seen any crime or violence there. However, the area is not awash with hotels. There are a couple including a Travelodge and a boutique place in the old town hall.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,087 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bethnal Green - to stay or not to stay

There's nothing wrong with Bethnal Green - and I say that as someone who has chosen to live there for the past ten years.

The best hotels in the immediate vicinity are the Bethnal Green Travelodge (budget) or The Town Hall (high-end); there is also the RE London Shoreditch on Hackney Road (which despite its name is in Bethnal Green). There are also a number of hotels in Shoreditch/Hoxton, Liverpool Street and Aldgate if you dn't mind a short bus ride.

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bethnal Green - to stay or not to stay

Thanks, all. Will look into those that've been mentioned above.

x

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bethnal Green - to stay or not to stay

Bethnal Green/Shoreditch etc., were once slum areas in the east of London but have cast off that reputation many moons ago and have been going through a process of 'gentrification' for quite some time so this area of London is now buzzing and dynamic with a very 'young' vibe to it, when my daughters moved to London they really wanted to live in this area but due to the location of their work had to move towards west London, you can rest assured that you will not be disappointed if you stay here.

Enjoy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bethnal Green - to stay or not to stay

Wire wiper, isn't Bethnal green south of hackney road in tower hamlets? RE is north so in the borough of hackney, I'd call it haggerston.

7. Re: Bethnal Green - to stay or not to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 05:18