We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 day London vacation- worth it to stay at Stansted Hilton?

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
9 day London vacation- worth it to stay at Stansted Hilton?

My husband and his mom are planning a sightseeing vacation to London, Salisbury, Bath, and Warwickshire for summer 2014. My mom-in-law found an 8-night special at the Stansted Airport Hilton for $504! This is a great deal, but my concern is how much time they will be spending commuting into London and the other towns for their sightseeing. What I'm finding is at least 30-45 minutes each way and almost another $500 for a two-person 7 day pass on EurRail. Are there much less expensive alternatives that don't take so much time that half their vacation would be spent commuting?

Secondly, is it feasible to do day trips to Salisbury, Bath, and Stratford-upon-Avon and Warwick Castle from Stansted or is that just too far? (And neither of them is interested in driving on the left, so no car rentals for them!)

Lastly, my mom-in-law has a heart condition and we don't want to tax her stamina any more than necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 day London vacation- worth it to stay at Stansted Hilton?

I would seriously forget this idea all round.

Try giving us a budget per night for the three of you in Sterling and then you should get some more central suggestions.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 day London vacation- worth it to stay at Stansted Hilton?

Sorry, I meant the two of them.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,326 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 day London vacation- worth it to stay at Stansted Hilton?

If you want to visit London, staying at Stansted airport would lose its appeal about 15 minutes after you checked in to the hotel.

As well, after having decided on where to stay in central London, check point to point rail tickets v any sort of rail pass. Fares will rise next year, but a look at current fares will, I suspect, make the pass look very poor value.

How mobile is your mother in law? Will she be able to manage stairs on the Underground or will you need to use buses when in London? As above, please let us know your budget for a hotel in pounds - use www.xe.com for the calculation - and let us know if you'll travel to and from London through Heathrow airport (the AA flight from and to RDU should remain in service with AA's reconfiguration).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,199 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 day London vacation- worth it to stay at Stansted Hilton?

I would say stay in London. Your mother-in-law may like the price of the Stansted accomodation deal (and I will admit it is very cheap) but if she has a heart condition she is doing herself no favours. If you stay in Central London, then you can return to your hotel during the day if you want to rest. If you stay at Stansted this will not be possible. So you are all better off spending the extra money on accomodation.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,526 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 day London vacation- worth it to stay at Stansted Hilton?

Are they arriving at Heathrow and then planning tomtravel all the way to the other side of London and then as far out again??

Stansted is almost diametrically opposite to Heathrow, with a massive conurbation in the way (and travel there from Gatwick is not much better.....)

That is enough to affect the heart of even the soundest "stalwart"!

Stay IN London, if you want to visit London, not out in the sticks, Hilton or no....

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 day London vacation- worth it to stay at Stansted Hilton?

This is an absolutely lousy idea even for someone without a heart condition. For someone who wishes to go back to their hotel at times, its insane. . Also, as you have discoevred its financially lousy once you add on train fares.

Logistically Its lousy for travelling into London, and its far beyond lousy for day trips out if London especially to the west. For Warwickshir sightseeinge, they should be staying locally in Warwickshire, Stansted is no use for that either.

Your MIL might consider why there is such a great rate BTW. Is it because people are clamouring to stay at the Hilton? Or because its incredibly inconvenient for everywhere except Hilton?

Finally, don't look on EurRal for fares they generally add a big whack on top, go here …nationalrail.co.uk/service/…search for train times and also for tickets if relevant it will direct you to the operating company for that particular journey.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 day London vacation- worth it to stay at Stansted Hilton?

I think you would do best to stay in a hotel in central London, then move to another in Bath from where you could visit Salisbury and Stonehenge, then go to another hotel in Warwickshire.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 day London vacation- worth it to stay at Stansted Hilton?

Thanks everyone for the advice! I told my MIL they were better off looking for a better location, even if at a higher price. Time is money, after all! We haven't purchased our plane tickets yet, so we're not stuck as far as airports, either.

Thanks again!

London
Level Contributor
140 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 day London vacation- worth it to stay at Stansted Hilton?

I'd go for Mikes suggestion if your mother in law doesn't travel, pick separate hotels for each location you want to visit. It will be a lot less tiring especially if you are not driving

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 day London vacation- worth it to stay at Stansted Hilton?

I think you made the right choice to change your mind. It costs a lot to get to London from Stansted so it probably wouldn't have even ended up cost effective.