We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or plane?

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
803 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Train or plane?

Hi I intend to travel from London (staying near kings cross) to either Italy or Paris. Haven't decided.

Would plane or train be cheaper and faster?

And if it is plane should I take from gatwick or stansted airport? Any websites to buy tickets for plane?

If train I suppose it's Eurostar? Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,586 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or plane?

Why don't you decide where you want to go, and then look at flight prices and Eurostar prices yourself? Or get yourself a travel agent, as this seems to be the service you are asking for.

If you are buying flights tickets yourself, always buy direct from the airline.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or plane?

If you decide on Paris, rail will certainly be quikest and, if you can book in advance, will probably be cheapest when you take transfer costs into account. Yes it will be Eurostar, see www.eurostar.co.uk.

For taly, flying would be quicker and normally cheaper. Which airport you would fly from depends on where you want o go to in Italy.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,225 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or plane?

Eurostar leaves from next door to Kings Cross at St Pancras. It means you don't have to travel to Heathrow or Luton, stand in queues, hand over your worldy possessions to strangers in the hope of getting them back later, be groped at security, sit in a metal tube, go through immigration checks, stand around hoping your luggage arrives, then travel into Paris.

On Eurostar you check in, go through security & immigration, take your luggage with you, sit in a metal tube, get off train. The End

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or plane?

You need to decide whether it's Paris or Italy that you're going to - it makes a difference to the best mode of transport.

If you are going to Paris, take the Eurostar from St Pancras to Gare du Nord - you can buy online direct with Eurostar.

If you are going to Italy, fly - where from depends on where you're going to in Italy and who offers the route. Try a portal like Skyscanner to see the various options, then book with the airline. Choose a flight based on what's most appropriate to your needs rather than which airport in London the flight leaves from - they're all pretty easy to get to, though some are more expensive than others.

London, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or plane?

The train journey is better than planes. Eurostar rail departs from St Pancras International and you can reach Italy in 2hours 15 minutes. It's best to book the train tickets in advance to save your money. Train journeys are best for a vacation travel and there are not much luggage restrictions like on planes.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,296 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or plane?

Eurostar rail departs from St Pancras International and you can reach Italy in 2hours 15 minutes

========================================

Nope. You can reach Paris or Brussels - neither of them Italy - in just over 2 hours (+ 1 hr time difference).

MAHA - don't wish to be rude but decide where you want to go, then ask. There's no point going to Paris just because it's easy from Kings Cross if you have no interest in it. Likewise it might be better flying direct from Birmingham since you appear to have no real interest in London anyway.

FEI -

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k67201…

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,260 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train or plane?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k398…

all strange...been to London before, asked the same questions...

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
803 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train or plane?

Hi sorry for being so vague. Yes I have decided to go to Rome. I don't see any options of Italy for Eurostar to go to from London.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,089 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train or plane?

You asked about getting the train from London to Rome in October 2010 and had it answered then.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train or plane?

Have you been reading the replies on your various posts?

Eurostar does NOT go to Italy.