We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in the U.K.

El Cajon...
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in the U.K.

After being there for two weeks and observing the whole driving on the right side of the road thing, I have decided that either (a) you are all much better drivers than we Americans are or (b) your road system is far superior to ours. Either way, I was really impressed by what I saw on the roads over there. I never saw one close call or any accidents or even a car with a dent from an accident. My compliments to you all.

I was confused by all the car phone businesses I saw though. I can't even remember the last time I saw a car here in the US that had a car phone in it. I assume those businesses must be selling cellular phones.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Driving in the U.K.

Our country lanes are one of the charms of this country. The main routes are plenty wide enough for standard travel.

32. Re: Driving in the U.K.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 August 2013, 00:28
TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Driving in the U.K.

I might add that I see no reason to conclude that my comment implied 6 lane highways suited the countryside. Single track roads that do not allow two cars ample room to pass, particularly when twists, turns, and blind corners abound, are unsuited to modern auto travel and are unsafe. Or do you find it charming to have a white van hurtling towards you head on at full speed as you round a tight corner and you must test your braking capacity as you dive into the hedge? Yes, I understand the English generally prefer to have their rural roads left the width they've been for eons. That doesn't, however, make them conducive to safety, and I've seen drivers make some very dangerous assumptions about the reflexes and abilities of their fellow motorists on these roads.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 00:31
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Driving in the U.K.

Here in Suffolk the back rural roads are perfectly okay for the numbers of people who use them. Although accidents do happen, Britain's road deaths are among the lowest in the world. Less than half the number per 100,000 vehicles than the USA.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tra…

Edited: 02 August 2013, 00:43
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Driving in the U.K.

Then what exactly is it that you are suggesting? Dig up all our lovely country lanes and replace them with roads wide enough for six cars to travel side by side? They are not dangerous. Vehicles shouldn't be travelling at "full speed" along them. If you have an accident with something coming the other way because you are driving too fast, whose fault is that?

TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Driving in the U.K.

I'm in complete agreement about Suffolk back roads. That part of the country was most pleasant to drive -- and we look forward to returning next year! :-)

TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Driving in the U.K.

Bungle, why are you fixated on 6 lane roads? I'm sorry your defensiveness over rural one track roads (where some people DO drive entirely too fast -- I've witnessed it a number of times) prohibits you from comprehending my posts. Where did you ever deduce that *I* drive too fast?

Defies logic!

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
433 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Driving in the U.K.

I find the country lanes to be quite charming actually. They're scary sometimes but if, as Bungle said sarcastically, there were 6 lane highways all over the countryside, it would completely ruin the aesthetic.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Driving in the U.K.

Bungle et al - all I can suggest is, open your eyes!!

Maybe I was unclear, I only meant in multi stories and surface level car parks really. Two recent examples would be the Oracle centre in Reading and Leisure Park in Stevenage when, at peak times, it's almost impossible to find a space but you drive past hundreds of empty disabled spaces.

It's less of an issue with street side parking where, if anything, I sympathise that they may even be slightly under provided in some places.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Driving in the U.K.

Blind bends on single track lanes has me honking my horn !