We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in the UK (for Americans)

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in the UK (for Americans)

Driving in the UK (for Americans) (Canadians, too)

Having lurked in this forum for months before completing my trip to the UK, I feel I should try to contribute in a meaningful way. I realize that this post is not London specific, but since the London forum appears to receive as much traffic as the other UK forums combined, I'm posting it here.

This is my advice as an American to other Americans who are considering driving themselves around the UK. Differences in driving between the two countries are more than just the "side" of the road that is driven on. These tips were culled from two experiences we had, renting once in Newbury and once in York.

If you're not a confident manual (stick-shift) driver, forget it. Driving on unfamiliar roads with unfamiliar rules is not the time to learn. (The automatics I saw available for rent were expensive luxury cars.)

Rent the smallest car that fits your needs. A Vauxhall Astra was plenty large enough for 2 adults, 2 teens, and luggage.

The "side" you drive on is the smallest difference between the two countries. In the US, right turns are easy. In the UK, left turns are your friend. Be careful and give way (yield) when turning right!

Research the standard road signs (speed, give way, etc.) Research the meaning of the lines for parking, give way (yield), passing, etc. Research the meaning of the large spider web type signs shown as you approach roundabouts. Find out what it means when something is inside ( ). Learn what A and B roads are. Research the speed limit rules and signs.

Research roundabouts, how they work, and what other drivers expect. (The occasional one-lane roundabout at a shopping mall in the US is not sufficient preparation.) There are videos on YouTube and other 'net resources.

Using Google street view, research some of the roads you intend to drive. Notice how the cars are parked, the width of the road and the curves. Notice that there may be walls and hedges very close to the road. Notice that the road may have no shoulders (verges in the UK). Note that directional signs are often located at the exact point of turning, rather than several hundred feet in advance. The width and curviness of the British roads was a bit unnerving for us. (We're from the western US where the roads are wide and straight.)

GPS (sat nav) is a wonderful tool but a map makes it easier to plan your route. You can buy a great AA atlas at many bookstores. Try to plan your route using A and B roads as much as possible. The "white" roads on your map are likely narrow, curvy roads that are best left to the locals who are familiar with them. The sections of motorway we drove on (A6 near Carlisle and A1(M) near Newcastle) were very similar to US freeways with wide lanes and gentle curves.

As you plan your route, make note of the numbers of the roads you'll be traveling (i.e. A59, B6265)--this is much easier than trying to determine whether you need the road to Towne or Upper Towne (which may be in opposite directions). Having at least two people, one to drive and one to navigate and provide lookout is a great help.

Once you've arrived at the car rental place, turn on your GPS to allow it to "find" itself. Before setting off, make sure the GPS has a really good position fix. If not, given the arrangement of roads in the UK, the GPS may think you are not where you actually are. (This happened to us outside the York railway station.) Ask the rental employee for specific directions to where you return the car and the two nearest petrol stations.

Before setting off, take several minutes to become familiar with the controls, particularly the headlights and wipers. Determine whether the car has an Eco anti-idling feature. Ours did and we turned it off just to eliminate another unknown. Figure out how to place the car in reverse. Figure out how to locate 1st and 2nd gears quickly (for roundabouts), without going into reverse. (In one car we drove, reverse was a great distance to the left of 1st. In the other, you entered reverse by first pressing down on the shifter and then moving to the left of 1st.)

Knowing all this greatly eased our driving experience and allowed the driver to relax (partially) and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Hopefully it will help others.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
111. Re: Driving in the UK (for Americans)

PM me if you REALLY want a link to his blog.

Exeter GB
Level Contributor
634 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
112. Re: Driving in the UK (for Americans)

.....which was absolutely hilarious for those of us who saw it. Driving in the UK was clearly the equivalent of preparing for D-day. An elaborate spoof surely - one of his key bits of advice for visitors wanting to see a foreign country was to drive off before dawn, thus negating the very purpose of the trip. Or maybe it wasn.t a spoof...

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,776 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
113. Re: Driving in the UK (for Americans)

I'm glad it's gone. It was so insulting to intelligent Americans, let alone anybody else. And he dug up an old topic to add it to, but he was also spamming lots of posts with his rubbish blog on driving in the UK (which I suspect he derived and income from, to rub salt into the wounds. In which case, we can revert to leaving this topic to lie, with the many useful points in the many posts.

SWT

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
114. Re: Driving in the UK (for Americans)

What really surprised me was the part about tailgating, OK you do get some people trying to drive into your back seat and say hello but he tried to imply that everyone was like it, can only assume he was probably driving so slow the drivers behind were getting frustrated. BTW, the worst place I've driven for tailgaters was in Minnesota, expected Florida to be worse but they seemed quite civilised down there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
115. Re: Driving in the UK (for Americans)

I find all the negative comments about UK drivers to be quite bizarre! I've found just the opposite - I've always been absolutely amazed by how polite they generally are :-) Just one example: during our last holiday in England, we were driving from our cousin's home in Christleton to our holiday let and had to turn right into an extremely busy A road. Traffic was coming continually from the right and the left and I thought I'd be waiting for ages to get chance to turn. Well, a driver on my right paused to let me through AND then a driver on my left did the same. Such consideration :-) There's two chances of anything like that happening here ... Buckley's and none. Here they'd be thinking (possibly saying) "get stuff**, wait your turn".

I've driven thousands of miles in the UK and apart from observing a general aversion to using indicators to change lanes, I find UK drivers to be very good.

116. Re: Driving in the UK (for Americans)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 04:18