We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to reserve for V&A museum?

Finland
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How much time to reserve for V&A museum?

I'm thinking about visiting the V&A museum on our trip to London in September. I'm particularly interested in all things that are jewellery-related, being a jewellery maker myself. Our stay in London is ridiculously short, only a day and a half, so I'm worried that the museum visit might be too time consuming.

Do you think that there is any point in visiting the museum for only an hour or two? That's pretty much all we can spare from our busy schedule.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
543 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to reserve for V&A museum?

Well, you could spend a couple of days there, but it's well worth a couple of hours. My advice would be to look at the website and pick one or two areas to devote your time to, and just go straight there and try not get sidetracked (very easy to get sidetracked). I really love the V&A, it's one of my favorite museums. And it's free! You should go!

Edited: 02 August 2013, 20:57
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time to reserve for V&A museum?

In my opinion a couple of hours is long enough for the V & A though it very much depends how long you like to take looking around, I tend to take time to look at the things I am most interested in and walk pretty sharpish through the rest, you could do the same and concentrate most of your time on looking at the jewellery exhibits. It is definitely do-able.

Finland
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to reserve for V&A museum?

Ok, thanks! I think we will go, if only I am able to pursuade my friends to come with me. I guess I might be more successful if I told them there are shop there, too :).

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time to reserve for V&A museum?

You don't say exactly when in September you will be visiting, but there is an exhibition running from September 21st which might interest you:

<<21 September 2013 - 19 January 2014. Experience the beauty and allure of pearls which across centuries and cultures have long been associated with wealth, royalty and glamour. This autumn the V&A and the Qatar Museums Authority explore the history of pearls from the early Roman Empire through to present day.>>

<<Highlights include rare natural specimens, Mary Queen of Scots’ necklace, a group of magnificent tiaras worn by European royalty, delicate art nouveau and striking art deco pieces and a pair of pearl drop earrings owned by Elizabeth Taylor.>>

<<On display is a stunning array of jewellery showcasing the variety of shapes and colours of pearls from established favourites such as Bulgari, Cartier, Chaumet, René Lalique and Tiffany, through to contemporary artist jewellers. The exhibition also looks at the creation of cultured pearls through Mikimoto and the impact this has had.>>

Timed tickets are in operation. Advance booking is recommended.

The website shortcut is:

www.vam.ac.uk/page/c/current-exhibitions/

TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time to reserve for V&A museum?

I wasn't expecting to enjoy the V&A as much as I did, but I'm so glad I decided to spend a few hours there. Definitely worth a go! It's fascinating.

Finland
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time to reserve for V&A museum?

Oh, what a pitty: we're going on September 11th-13th, so it's too early for that exhibition.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time to reserve for V&A museum?

The V & A is one of my favourite museums too, last time we went in the garden cafe which is lovely weather permitting, however it is worth remembering that the tables and chairs scattered around the garden are for cafe users who can end up circling tables and chairs with loaded trays looking for somewhere to sit because visitors who have not bought anything at the cafe are sitting at the tables.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
543 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time to reserve for V&A museum?

I loved the gift shop there! I bought a necklace I just love. I wore it every day for the rest of the trip!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
543 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time to reserve for V&A museum?

I also make jewelry, and how I wish I could see the pearl exhibit! I love pearls. That sounds so interesting.

London, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time to reserve for V&A museum?

It's worth spending time at the V and A museum. This is one of the most visited museums of the world and i think 2 hours is not enough but still you will enjoy from short time. It's worth having a visit.