We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family and Friends railcard with a 16 year old

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Family and Friends railcard with a 16 year old

I have a F&F railcard that I bought on our trip in July this year. DD will turn 16 in Nov, and we are planning a trip for Dec/Jan. This seems pretty self-explanatory, but I just want to confirm that it's this simple. According to the website, I still buy her a child's ticket, even though she's 16. Can anyone confirm?

"Children aged under 16 at the time that the Railcard is purchased may still travel at the discounted child’s fare throughout the validity period of the 1-year Railcard, even if they become 16 years old during that time or, for a 3-year Railcard until the child turns 17."

familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/using-your-c…

I don't want to break any rules.

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family and Friends railcard with a 16 year old

Which part is unclear?

london
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family and Friends railcard with a 16 year old

yes it's that simple, I did the same with my daughter

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family and Friends railcard with a 16 year old

Thanks. It seemed simple. It just seems wierd to buy a ticket for up to 15 year olds for a 16 year old, but I can't see any other way the railcard would work. I think I just wanted confirmation that they wouldn't end up throwing us off the train or something...

london
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family and Friends railcard with a 16 year old

I know what you mean, I had the same concerns as we bought the last railcard just a month or so before my daughter's 16th birthday, but it worked, it was legit, and no we never got thrown off the train (in fact no-one even queried how old she was)

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family and Friends railcard with a 16 year old

Yes, after I posted I realized no one's ever checked her age before, and I can't imagine she'll look that much older at 16 than at 15 and 364 days. ;-)

6. Re: Family and Friends railcard with a 16 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 05:17