We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours: Original vs Big Bus---Getting Tix & Mary Poppins

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tours: Original vs Big Bus---Getting Tix & Mary Poppins

Which of these is better?

Should we get tix in advance? or on the spot?

Is there any discount available for the Mary Poppins Show (Prince Edward Theatre) ---- Should we get tix online NOW - prior to getting to London?

The English Bus
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Tour Londres
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours: Original vs Big Bus---Getting Tix & Mary Poppins

No discount tickets from the half price booth today.

www.theatremonkey.co.uk have top price seat and italian meal for £49.

Mary Poppins is taking part in the Kids Week in August

somewhere in florida
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours: Original vs Big Bus---Getting Tix & Mary Poppins

big bus definately. i'm all for the hop on, hop off thing. you can also get a good overview of the city this way and then pick and choose where you would like to get off. i suppose you can pre purchase them. but i bought mine when i got there. they are good for 2 days.

Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours: Original vs Big Bus---Getting Tix & Mary Poppins

I've already purchased my voucher for the Original Bus Tour (mailed to my home here in Tucson) and it has complete free hop-on/off feature. I just exchange my voucher for ticket when I want the 24 hours to begin to run. (And not going til October!)

Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours: Original vs Big Bus---Getting Tix & Mary Poppins

Just returned from my family vacation in London. We took the Original hop on hop off because it was suppose to be a little bit cheaper. Bought the tickets the day of. They have about 4 different routes and you can do any of them. The tickets are good for 24hrs so we started early evening with the live tour guide and then the next day with took a different route with the audio guide. The tickets also come with a free 50minute boat ride.

There were no mary poppins discounts when we went but we went to the ticket booth the day we wanted to go (monday night) and there were still tickets available. We had second row in the first mezzanine (as called in NY but london calls it dress circle i think). Seats were fabulous and the show was amazing. My family consists of two adults (late40's/early 50's) and 3 older kids 18,20,21. Everyone loved it and thought they did a great job.

Hope the info helps.

Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours: Original vs Big Bus---Getting Tix & Mary Poppins

I've taken both more than twice each - differences really come to individual guides ... both are good and you can get on and off as you desire at their stops - or if you need to go to someplace just for you, tell either the driver or the guide and they'll tell you when and where to get off and how to get to where you need. Have a great trip. Ta. MMM!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours: Original vs Big Bus---Getting Tix & Mary Poppins

Original boat ride is longer, but really depends on the guides, as noted in an earlier post, and this is variable.

For Mary Poppins, we just had a great experince. On the day of the performance, we booked the the theatre mid afternoon and got great seats - better than a box, in that they were elevated and seperated in a booth but front facing and had Mary fly staright in front of us - at a great price. On the spot, at the theatre (not an agency) worked for us really well, but we were lucky in that the girl who served us for some strange reason just looked after us well. Its a great show.