We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Gatwick 3 hour connection problem!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
London to Gatwick 3 hour connection problem!

I've seen a couple of questions regarding making a connection from Heathrow to Gatwick and unfortunately yesterday I didn't make it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news for many people posting about making the connection but its a ridiculously short amount of time to allow for and eventually at the airport I paid an obnoxious fare for a flight back to Dublin.

My connection was in the midst of rush hour though and my flight from America was delayed.

At the ticket desk the airhostess told me that its illegal to sell a flight with a connection time of less than three hours, my connection time was 2hrs and 50mins and I'm trying to find somewhere that states this in terms and conditions. I think if I can refer to this "law" this I might be entitled to some refunds...... hopefully. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, many thanks,

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Gatwick 3 hour connection problem!

Could you not claim on your travel insurance?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Gatwick 3 hour connection problem!

If they were two separate bookings, then you have no chance. It is your responsibility. If it was on one through ticket, then you have recourse with the airline that took the booking

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Gatwick 3 hour connection problem!

At the ticket desk the airhostess told me that its illegal to sell a flight with a connection time of less than three hours, my connection time was 2hrs and 50mins and I'm trying to find somewhere that states this in terms and conditions.

===========

Was it a connection? Or two separate flights?

If its a connection, it was on one ticket. If you have two different ticket numbers, its not a connection

How did you book this?

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,342 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Gatwick 3 hour connection problem!

If it was a through booking then the airline should have arranged your onward flight.

The fact that you had to pay suggests maybe you bought two separate tickets. How could it possibly be 'illegal' to sell you two separate tickets for two flights? if you did that then unfortunately you chose to accept the possible consequences of not making it in time.

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Gatwick 3 hour connection problem!

I bought them all together as a package on skyscanner and booked with last minute.com. On the way out when I checked in in Dublin, I flew from Dublin to London to New York and got all my tickets in Dublin and they checked my bags all the way through but in New York on the way back they said that the didn't know anything about the flight from London to Dublin, so I guess it was separate. I didn't have anything except an itinerary of times of flights, i got all the tickets at the airport, in my itinerary it was as a connecting flight.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Gatwick 3 hour connection problem!

Which airlines were you flying on? A package in this context means nothing.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,861 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Gatwick 3 hour connection problem!

So complain to lastminute

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Gatwick 3 hour connection problem!

booked with last minute.com ... but in New York on the way back they said that the didn't know anything about the flight from London to Dublin, so I guess it was separate

=======

OK so on the face of it looks like LM screwed up and bought you a separate flight for that leg. You should be able to tell, look for ticket numbers. There should only be one, if there is a different one for some flights, its not a connection as defined properly, its just two separate flights.

LM is where I'd go for recompense. It will be a struggle and you may need to threaten or go through with, small claims court (google money claims online)

People warn here all the time about booking direct instead of using third parties. But so many think a seat is a seat is a seat, therefore it doesn't matter how you buy it, so lowest price is obviously best, but there is no such thing as a free lunch and the waiter just turned up with the bill.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Gatwick 3 hour connection problem!

If you had booked the whole itinerary with eg. BA then if you hadn't made the flight after connecting between the two airports, they would have got you a seat on the next available flight.

I would leave at least 4 hours even if all on one ticket as too stressful otherwise!

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,342 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Gatwick 3 hour connection problem!

"If you had booked the whole itinerary with eg. BA then if you hadn't made the flight after connecting between the two airports, they would have got you a seat on the next available flight"

If the whole itinarary had been booked with BA then presumably the flight to Dublin would have departed from Heathrow anyway....