We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Tim Tams available in London??

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Are Tim Tams available in London??

After seeing a resurrection of a similar question regarding Tim Tams.... but thought it best to start a fresh post/question...

Are Tim Tams available in London? The thread that I saw (it dates from earlier in 2012) had some posters suggesting the Tim Tams were available in Sainsbury's. So, I went to Sainsbury's site, did the store locator with the postal code of our hotel (Marriott London Grosvenor Square) and none were shown. Would they be available, by chance at Fortnum & Mason, etc.?

And, to reaquaint those who are unsure what TImTams are ..... they are wonderful little biscuits (cookies) from Australia (also have the name on the package ..Arnault (?) ) in chocolate, carmel, vanilla.... yum!) We buy them when we visit Australia and bring them back to the US, and when our flight attendant friends fly the Sydney route we put in our order. I can get them here at a local store - but it is a smaller selection.

If I can find a decent selection while in London I would be a happy camper!

Thanks...

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Are Tim Tams available in London??

<< Yes, they are, we call them 'Penguins'. Not kidding, they're identical >>

You can't do a proper Tim Tam Slam with a Penguin ! :-))

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Are Tim Tams available in London??

Guess I will have to look for the violet crumbles then! And, are these 'penguins' just a nickname for the violet crumbles or ...?

And where would I find them? What sort of store...etc??

Thanks!

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Are Tim Tams available in London??

Lol I keep getting told (by Aussies) that they're different, but I just can't see it.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Are Tim Tams available in London??

amwmn913 - Penguins are available in almost all supermarkets etc in the UK and are, IMO, almost identical to timtams.

Can't see much difference between Crunchies and Violet Crumbles either, but I'm assured they are different apparently.....

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Are Tim Tams available in London??

Still confused as to all the 'names' . Are Crunchies, Violet Crumbles and Penguins three different products, or ???

Thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Are Tim Tams available in London??

Tim Tams are derived from Penguins, but the debate continues as to which is better.

www.wanderingsheila.com/tim-tam-vs-penguins

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Are Tim Tams available in London??

Penguins = Timtams

Crunchies = Violet Crumbles

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,465 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Are Tim Tams available in London??

Go to any English supermarket and look at the sheer variety of biscuits and confectionery. I have yet to see such a range of offerings at reasonable prices anywhere else, and visitors seem to agree. You will soon realise how silly it was to fret about Tim Tams.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Are Tim Tams available in London??

>>Tim Tams are derived from Penguins, but the debate continues as to which is better.<<

There's only one way to find out...........FIGHT!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Are Tim Tams available in London??

imwmn913,

Crunchies and VCs are chocolate covered honeycomb treats. As I said, VCs are superior to Crunchies. You should get one of your FA friends to buy you some.

Tim Tams are Tim Tams. They are not my fave and the last thing I would be doing with them is ruining a cup of coffee.

Penguins seem to be Tim Tam style biscuits. I'd never heard of them before this thread so can't offer an opinion.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 15:55