We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
unknown
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Topic
Question about london-oxford train

I looked up the rail website, the tickets are £28.70 anytime, paddington to oxford. If i proceed to book, what i am getting? A booking voucher that i need to take to the station ticket counter to exchange for a proper ticket? Or i will print out a e-ticket that is good for me to board the train with?

Or is it easier to just by the ticket at the station?

On the other hand, I intend to get a oyster card to travel within london, can i use it for this journey? Is it simply tap in and tap out? I presume that is how we will ride the trains within london, tap in tap out?

And regardless of the above, the train ticket has no fixed seating. Free seating?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about london-oxford train

Oxford is too far outside London to be able to use an Oyster card on the journey.

If you book your rail ticket online, you will get an alphanumeric code. When you get to the railway station, you put the credit card you used to purchase the tickets into the machine and enter the code. The machine will give you tickets. If you are purchasing a walk-up fare (e.g. peak/off-peak single/return), there is no advantage to purchasing in advance. If you are purchasing an advance fare (valid only on a specified train), you will not be able to purchase this on the day of travel.

Some London-Oxford trains may have reserved seating, particularly those for which Oxford is only an intermediate stop (e.g. trains to Worcester). Even on these trains, there is meant to be an unreserved carriage. If there are reserved seats, you will need to purchase a ticket at least several hours in advance (online or in a station) to get a seat reservation.

Note that there are slower and faster trains to Oxford. The slow trains can stop a dozen or more times and take nearly an hour longer than the fast trains. Check the timetables in advance.

London
Level Contributor
10,415 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about london-oxford train

"Or is it easier to just by the ticket at the station?"

For this ticket for this journey - yes.

A few trains between London and Oxford have reservable seats - but most don't. It's turn up and go commuter service.

If you buy on line, you will choose to have the ticket posted to you or get a code that (in combination with the payment card you use) will enable you to retrieve the ticket from a machine at the station.

The ticket you've quoted is the most expensive option - you need that if you wish to travel in morning rush hour. If you are starting your journey later then an off-peak ticket is available (£23.50 same day return).

Oyster is only valid in London - this journey is way beyond the Oyster area.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 15:17
unknown
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about london-oxford train

Thanks, guys.

I should be travelling at about 7am on a wednesday. If i turn up at the station and buy ticket a ticket there, will there be long lines to get the ticket? I would not have a chip and pin card to use the machines though.

If i purchase online, if the alphanumeric code needs to be used with my credit card, in this case, a magnetic stripe card will be ok?

Oh, and luggage can be carried on board or needs to be checked into a separate luggage compartment?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about london-oxford train

I have heard mixed things about using a magnetic stripe card to collect tickets from the machine. There may be queues at Paddington at 7 am, but most of the rush hour flow is into London in the morning. If you will be in London the day before your journey, you can always stop into any National Rail station to purchase your tickets then.

Luggage is carried on board.

unknown
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about london-oxford train

Just wondering. Is either of the london-oxford train ride or bus ride considered scenic or not at all?

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about london-oxford train

Never gone on the train from Oxford-London but the bus isn't - it just goes up/down the M40.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about london-oxford train

On the train between Tilehurst and Didcot.

On the bus between Junction 4 and 6 on the M40.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about london-oxford train

The London-Oxford train has some scenic moments once you get out of the London conurbation, but it's not one of the prettier rail journeys in the UK.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about london-oxford train

Roughly half the London-Oxford railway journey is through suburbia, Legoland exurban towns or post industrial sprawl. The other half is modestly pretty countryside, more or less following the Thames. There's a couple of bits of the Thames (around Cliveden for example) that are slightly better than modestly pretty.

Some foreign visitors get irritated when we dismiss normal English countryside, especially if they come from somewhere lots of green fields being munched up by sheep are exotic.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about london-oxford train

There's no separate luggage compartment, but on some trains there may be a luggage rack at the end of the carriage. There will be overhead racks for smaller bags. You carry your own luggage on board, whichever type of train it is.