We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Revised travel plan....

Garner, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Revised travel plan....

I am addicted to this forum! :-). A lot of great information that is making me even more excited for my 1st trip to London in September (with my sister). Yes, I already know that I am not going to be able to fit everything in and will need to return. So this is what I have down so far...the out of town tours are already purchased, and I plan to purchase Buckingham, Parliament and National theatre back stage tour this week, What do you think? Doable?

Day 1: Arrive, check into hotel in Baywater, check out surrounding area, HOHO bus tour, Portobello Market for lunch or dinner.

Day 2: Tower of London tour, St Katherines dock for lunch, Tower Bridge, St. Paul's (tour, afternoon tea and Evensong).

Day 3: National Theatre backstage tour, Covent garden for lunch, Millennium Bridge, "Wicked", Dukes bar, and Harrods.

Day 4: Buckingham Palace tour, Trafalgar square, St Martins/cafe of the crypt/brass rubbings, and National Gallery

Day 5: Eurorail to Paris - all day

Day 6: Versailles in Paris, return to London late.

Day 7: Changing of the guard (foot or horse), Thames River boat to Greenwich, Explore Greenwich,

Day 8: London Zoo, Madame Trussauds

Day 9: Day trip to Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath

Day 10: House of Parliament tour, Ben Franklin house, Walk along the South bank (Westminster to Waterloo bridge), Westminster Abbey Verger tour (can (or should) this be booked in advance?) and Evensong, London Eye.

Day 11: Royal Parks Bike tour , Kensington Palace and Park

Day 12: Kew Gardens

I have been reading up on the 2 4 1, and have printed out vouchers for St Pauls, Thames Clipper, Tower of London, Zoo and Madame Trussauds.

A couple places I have seen from other postings are: Camden Lock, Borough market, and Hamley's toy store but I am not sure where they will fit in.

Am also interested in any great fish and chip places, or other really good budget places to eat (not picky).

Thank you so much!

London, United...
Level Contributor
398 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Revised travel plan....

Go to Camden Lock by jumping on the canal boat at the zoo. It goes to Camden ( and back if you want )the pretty way.

Kids love Madame Tussauds, adults don't usually- prebook tickets otherwise you'll queue for ages.

The millennium bridge takes about 5 minutes to walk across- use it for great views of St Paul's, then eat on the other side or pop into the Globe theatre and/ or The Tate - kids also love these places ( trust me , I'm a primary school teacher and have often taken school parties to them) you can also get a short boat ride to the other Tate gallery ( Tate Britain ) from here.

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Revised travel plan....

You could add Hamleys to your Day 4 itinerary. After the National Gallery catch any bus that has Oxford Circus or Regent Street on the front and ask the driver to tell you when you get to Hamleys (although most of the new buses will have an automatic announcement). It's not far and if the traffic is bad you could probably walk from Trafalgar Square to Hamley's in about 15 minutes max (just head for Piccadilly Circus and then walk up Regent St).

For fish and chips you might want to try Rock & Sole Plaice in Endell Street, which is a five minute walk north of Covent Garden piazza.

timeout.com/london/…rock-sole-plaice

Don't know what day of the week you're visiting Greenwich, but the town is always heaving with tourists on the weekends. Good markets though, with great food stalls and a fantastic art market, not just the usual kitsch tourist tat. If you do the boat trip, it's worth going the extra stretch to the Thames Barrier. They're an engineering wonder.

On the day 10 walk from Westminster Bridge to Waterloo... I'd suggest going a little further another ten minutes will take you to Gabriel's Wharf, the Tate Modern and the Globe Theatre. You can walk across the river at Southwark Bridge or go back to the Tate Modern and walk over the Millennium foot bridge, which will take you to St Pauls. From there you should be able to catch a bus that will take you back to Trafalgar Sq and you walk down Whitehall to Westminster Abbey. (This walk is lovely in the early evening with all of the pink, mauve and green floodlights bathing the various buildings and bridges along the river).

A possible alternative to the National Theatre Backstage tour is a tour of the Royal Opera House. I think it's one of the most beautiful buildings in London. The Floral Hall is like something from the Great Exhibition, you'll see how they make the sets for the big operas and the wardrobe department with rows of tutus for the Royal Ballet. When you walk through the red velvet Crush Room it's like being transported to the opening scenes of My Fair Lady.

Your general plan looks ambitious, but doable. However you don't factor in much in the way of rest time. Your feet are going to be killing you by the end of it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,585 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Revised travel plan....

Do be careful about days of the week. Portobello Market is at its best on Saturday, and while there are a few food stalls for a quick lunch it's not really somewhere to go for dinner. St .Paul's and Westminster Abbey are closed to visitors on Sundays unless they are attending a service.

Look for reviews of your day 9 tour, some people report feeling quite rushed.

Garner, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Revised travel plan....

Great!

The information on the Camden locks is just what I was looking for.

The Greenwich trip is scheduled for a Wednesday, so hopefully we will bypass the big crowds. The information on the Rock and Sole, and Gabriel's Wharf will be noted. I had no information on Thames Barrier, or The Royal Opera house, will look those up.

We are arriving on a Thursday, so good to know about the Portobello Market. I think we are staying relatively close to it, so may see about pushing that to one our Saturdays in town. I knew to stay away from the church's on Sunday, we have St. Paul's scheduled for Friday, and Westminster for Saturday.

Great information...Keep it coming!

5. Re: Revised travel plan....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 06:22