We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for pre-theatre dining near the Old Vic

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Topic
Recommendations for pre-theatre dining near the Old Vic

Hi all.

I am looking for some recommendations for pre-theatre dining near the Old Vic. Cuisine and budget not an issue, just looking for a good meal.

Last time I ate across the road at the Waterloo Bar & Grill. It was adequate but otherwise not remarkable.

Thanks, mez.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for pre-theatre dining near the Old Vic

The Anchor and Hope in the Cut was one of the early gastropubs. The food is good, but it can get busy. I've heard good things about but never been to Baltic, a 5 minute walk away in Blackfriars Road. For good American-style burgers, there is a branch of Byron in the Cut as well.

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for pre-theatre dining near the Old Vic

The little restaurant 'the Cut' at the Young Vic (just across the road, a little further eastbound) has excellent light meals and a cheery atmosphere, at great prices too. A nice place for pre and post- theatre food and drinks!

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for pre-theatre dining near the Old Vic

Ah, just thought of another fun option in the weekends, and in case the weather stays sunny: http://www.realfoodfestival.co.uk/market

It's at only a 5-10 minute stroll from the Old Vic towards the Thames. It has a limited selection of colourful food stalls, selling organic, tasty food and it's usually not too crowded (not as crowded as on the pictures ;-) There are seats and little tables at the most eastern end, or you can stroll up to one of the benches alond the Thames banks, to enjoy your meal with a nice view :-)

How close is your journey now??

Edited: 13 August 2013, 11:57
Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for pre-theatre dining near the Old Vic

If you don't mind paying out a bit, then La Barca, an Italian restaurant, just opposite at the start of The Cut is always been good. You might even bump into one if the actors in there. My MIL was thrilled to find Derek Jacobi sitting at the next table when we took her there a few years back.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for pre-theatre dining near the Old Vic

You are spoiled for choice. The Cut has several good places. There's a good tapas bar on the next corner, and a great fish & chip restaurant place, about 100 yards south.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for pre-theatre dining near the Old Vic

Thanks everyone.

It looks like I'll be spoiled for choice. :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for pre-theatre dining near the Old Vic

If you love trying Asian/Indian , then don't miss out the Bangalore Express Waterloo. Try the LiveBait and it's just a few metres away from the Old Vic.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for pre-theatre dining near the Old Vic

Livebait went bust during the recession. I think the Bryon hamburger place is now where Livebait used to be.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for pre-theatre dining near the Old Vic

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d2…

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for pre-theatre dining near the Old Vic

There is also Waterloo Bar and Kitchen, round the corner from the Old Vic and not to be confused with the Waterloo Bar & Grill.

http://www.barandkitchen.co.uk/