We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London 8 days itinerary

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
London 8 days itinerary

Hello friends, I am planning to travel to London from 7-15th September for attending a research conference. While the conference is on 10th september, I want to visit london tourist attraction all other days. I planned to buy London pass of 6 days (8-13th September) (no offence please, 2for1 might be better I know but I will prefer London pass) and 7 day zone 1-2 travel card (please confirm if I am right by not taking the zone 1-6 travel card suggested by London pass by checking my plans.). I will be staying at LSE carr Saunder Hall, 18-24 Fitzroy street, close to British museum, Regent park, Madam Tussaud and London zoo.

I give big thanks to tripadvisor which helped me so much to make the plan as I read so many post by all of you. Now you expert guys, please help me to finalize the plan and suggest me if any change is required. This is my first visit abroad and I am really looking forward to all your suggestion. ( I know some of the museum I am doing in hurry, actually I don't like museum much.)

Day 0 (7th September Saturday) Reaching Heathrow airport at 6.30 pm--->hotel---->dinner--->Rest

Day 1 (8th September Sunday) Greenwich by Red rover cruise (back to westminster pier) , Tower Bridge experience, Harrod

Day 2 (9th September Monday) Big-ben (quick look) , Westminster Abbey 9.30-11 , Buckingham Palace change of gaurd (if time permits, otherwise see change of gaurd at windsor castle and enjoy more time at westminster abbey) 11.30-12pm , Churchill war room 1.30-3.00 , Banqueting house+household Cavalry Museum (3.30-5.30) , London Eye experience at night

Day 3 (10th September Tuesday) Conference (The whole busy day with my work, can accommodate only afternoon for tour) , London zoo (afternoon)

Day 4 (11th September Wednesday) St. Paul Cathedral , Shakespeare Globe theater tour , Tower of london , HMS Belfast (if time permits)

Day 5 (12th September Thursday) Cambridge independent tour with National express coach (River punting 1 hour, Walking tour 2 hour and enjoy the place rest of the time)

Day 6 (13th September Friday) Wimbledon Tour and Museum (big tennis fan, so cant miss this) 10.00 am-1.30 pm , Trafalgar Square , National Gallery , British Museum (open till 8.30 pm, as Friday)

Day 7 (14th September Saturday) Windsor Castle , Eton College tour at 2.00 pm , Madam Tussaud in evening

Day 8 (15th September Sunday) Last day of my tour. Will check out some free museum as no London pass. As flight is at 10.30 pm my tour is till 5.30 pm today ,

Portobello Market (9.00-10.30) , Victoria and Albert Museum (11.00-1.30 pm) , Natural History Museum (2.30-5.30)

London, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London 8 days itinerary

I would plot out these items on a map - you might be surprised at how much back and forth travelling you may end up doing - for example on day 1, Greenwich, Tower Bridge and Harrods take you from the south east end of London, to the City, to the West End... yet you go back to the Tower of London (next to the Bridge) a few days later.... Also, trying to do Windsor, a Tour of Eton and then back to Tussauds is a busy day etc... then you are travelling to Cambridge... then out to Wimbledon... all on different days. You'll be spending a lot of time travelling not seeing.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London 8 days itinerary

Thanks, the plan has been slightly updated, I am not doing Madame Tussaud's...Harrods will be on other day...and Eton college will be followed by british museum which is open till 8.30 pm as its friday..Cambridge is a full day plan..which I am sure is not rush (Ok I know we can spend a whole week in cambridge though).

Day 1 (8th September Sunday) Greenwich by Red rover cruise (back to Tower pier) , HMS Belfast

Day 2 (9th September Monday) Big-ben (quick look) , Westminster Abbey 9.30-11 , Buckingham Palace change of gaurd (if time permits, otherwise see change of gaurd at windsor castle and enjoy more time at westminster abbey) 11.30-12pm , Churchill war room 1.30-3.00 , Banqueting house+household Cavalry Museum (3.30-5.30) , London Eye experience at night

Day 3 (10th September Tuesday) Conference (The whole busy day with my work, can accommodate only afternoon for tour) , London zoo (afternoon)

Day 4 (11th September Wednesday) St. Paul Cathedral , Lunch at Brough Market, Shakespeare Globe theater tour , Tower of london , Harrod (if time permits)

Day 5 (12th September Thursday) Wimbledon Tour and Museum (big tennis fan, so cant miss this) 10.00 am-1.30 pm , Trafalgar Square , National Gallery.

Day 6 (13th September Friday) Windsor Castle , Eton College tour at 2.00 pm , British Museum in evening (open till 8.30 pm, as Friday)

Day 7 (14th September Saturday) Cambridge independent tour with National express coach (River punting 1 hour, Walking tour 2 hour and enjoy the place rest of the time)

Day 8 (15th September Sunday) Last day of my tour. Will check out some free museum as no London pass. As flight is at 10.30 pm my tour is till 5.30 pm today ,

Portobello Market (9.00-10.30) , Victoria and Albert Museum (11.00-1.30 pm) , Natural History Museum (2.30-5.30)

O P
London, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London 8 days itinerary

Hi. I think you have grouped things together quite well. Although yes, see Harrods perhaps after V&A and Nat Hist Mus as these two are in South Ken and Harrods is in Knightsbridge which is next to South Ken. V&A is beautiful. Both buildings are impressive from outside and in.

Well done for picking Cambridge, it's a lovely place. I wouldn't bother with Eton but each to his own.

If you are staying near the Brit Mus. Avoid Holborne station, High Holbourne area, especially at 9am ish, 1pm ish and 5.30-6 as its really packed with workers. It's so busy! If you can, walk the back way, ie the Squares, Bloomsbury Sq, etc.

I'm actually not a fan of the British Mus, was there last wk and it was hot, packed and its very big and I'm more into modern history myself. Try and go early or late when its less busy. Very very touristy.

I love the Museum of London for a great vision of London throughout the years. It's free and I would include it if you can. Just 1.5 hrs there even.

When you are at Tower Bridge you will also be right next to The Tower of London so do check that out even from the outside.

O P
London, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London 8 days itinerary

Day 3- the zoo is really great! See the feeding shows, penguin feeding, the big show in to outdoor theatre is always great with wild birds etc and the giraffe feeding. All shows are good and informative. You will see Ricky the penguin...anyway afterwards, you might like to follow the signs and walk to Camden Lock/town 15 min walk or take a can if its dark and u r alone. I don't know how old you are, Camden Town is more for young people, but its fun. It's the alternative area with lots of market stalls, unique shops, tattoo parlours, food places, pubs etc. also, if you can, check out Regents Park which is where the zoo is, it's huge. There's great views from the vantage point (see map in park)

Day 4- I guess you know but there's a bridge that connects The Globe with St Paul's. just walk over. 10 min. Also, if you are at the Globe, The Tate Modern Art Gallery is right beside it and free so worth a quick look at least. It's a big ugly building from outside!

O P
London, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London 8 days itinerary

One more thing

Day 6- you say you are going to be in Traf Sq- I would really recommend that you visit The Nat Portrait Gallery FREE (1min from there) and Somerset House (10 min walk). I'm a Londoner and they are a couple if my fave places. Just try and have an hour at each at least ( see my post on this today)

O P
London, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London 8 days itinerary

One last thing! You that you are arriving at Heathrow? Well the good thing about that airport is that it's on the Picadilly underground line. So no need for taxi or coach into London. Just go straight on the underground and take the tube to Russell Square which is 5 mins walk from The Brit Mus where you say you are staying.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London 8 days itinerary

Thank you so much for those valuable comments..I was biased towards taking a day trip with some tour company..but tripadvisor people helped me to choose Cambridge..And I m feeling of doing right.

Yes I will be visiting National Gallery surely.

Museum of London and Camden Town could be great..Can I make the Camden Town some other day..actually Day 3 that whole day I can afford only the zoo as I am busy the morning and night with my conference.

I really like to check the other places u described..Let me see what I can do

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London 8 days itinerary

I understand Harrods should be done on last day, but that day I will have time till 5.30..So should I skip Portobello Market in the morning and check Harrods around 4 pm??

Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London 8 days itinerary

If you'd like to do the Museum of London, group that with St. Paul's as they are a stone's throw away from each other. St. Paul's could take you a while if you do the audio guide (comes with admission) and want to climb to the very top where unobstructed views of the city are there. Then you can walk across the footbridge (Millennium's the name) to see Shakespeare's Globe and the Tate Modern.

The Tower of London can be a lengthy visit too so perhaps think about combining with the Bridge (unless you just want to see it) and HMS Belfast. If you're interested, there is also a combination ticket of the Tower Bridge experience with the Monument (another Wren design).

Since you're not a museum person, you can probably do a quick walk through of the Natural History and V&A (science museum also there and free). Harrod's is a 5-10 minute walk from there. Harrod's is sizeable and women have been known to spend hours in one department only! Shopping at Harrod's is a much different experience from the local street markets so if you don't do Portobello on a Sat. for antiques (is it open on Sun?), you can probably find a comparable market to wander around in.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London 8 days itinerary

The big street market (Portobello) is on Saturdays. Nothing on Sundays.

http://www.portobelloroad.co.uk/the-market/