We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlie Chaplin statue in Leicester Square

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Charlie Chaplin statue in Leicester Square

As we wander throughout a city, we like to see interesting/unique statues, etc ....

So, with that in mind there was a statue of Charlie Chaplin in Leicester Square but I read that it was removed a year ago? I am not able to ascertain if it was put back.... can someone tell me if it is or isn't?

Thanks

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,171 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charlie Chaplin statue in Leicester Square

No, Charlie Chaplin along with a few other notable statues, have all been removed for their own good as the weather was taking it's toll. Only Shakespeare survived

Apparently

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charlie Chaplin statue in Leicester Square

Thank you....that is what I gathered since I haven't found anything showing it had been put back.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charlie Chaplin statue in Leicester Square

There is a statue of Mahatma Gandhi in Tavistock Square if that is of interest to you.

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charlie Chaplin statue in Leicester Square

Hmmm..... That is something that would..... I will google it to get the more detailed location, unless it is very obvious to see? And, if you have that information?

Thanks!

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charlie Chaplin statue in Leicester Square

The Charlie Chaplin statue and the hand/footprints in the paving slabs are due to be returned to Leicester Square soon.

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charlie Chaplin statue in Leicester Square

There's the Oscar Wilde statue near Charing Cross station and an elephant sculpture that emerges from a wall in Waterloo station (on the Waterloo Rd side, top of the Jubilee Line escalators). Plus a giant blue rooster on a plinth in Trafalgar Square.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charlie Chaplin statue in Leicester Square

If you come to Brighton we have one of Max Miller.

London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charlie Chaplin statue in Leicester Square

As an American, you might like to go looking for American presidents.

In New Bond street, look out for the bench that has President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill sitting next to each other, and if you're slim enough then you can squeeze between them. Also look out for Sotheby's auctioneers at 34 New Bond Street because over the door is a sculpture of the Egyptian godess Sekhmet which is 3,600 years old. From there walk west into Grosvenor Square which is where the American and Canadian embassies are. You'll find a memorial to the American Eagle Squadron and statues of presidents Eisenhower, Roosevelt and Reagan.

From there walk to Parliament Square for the statue of President Lincoln which you'll recognise because it's a copy of the one in Chicago.

Then go to Trafalgar Square to find the statue of George Washington, presented by the people of the state of Virginia. During the war, Washington once made a promise that he would never again stand on English soil, so the Virginians also shipped over a ton of Virginian soil to put beneath the statue.

There's also a bust of President Kennedy at 1 Park Crescent near Regents Park.

If you are church goers, on Sunday morning you could also travel to the church in Putney that has a stained glass window in honour of General Arnold from the Revolutionary War.

One thing that is fairly unusual about London are the Blue Plaques that are found on many of the buildings - keep alert for them as they told you some of the famous people that lived there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charlie Chaplin statue in Leicester Square

The Gandhi statue is in the middle of the gardens - easy to spot, just down from Euston Station on the road towards Holborn.

In fact you can just see it from the road on google street view.

Edited: 17 August 2013, 14:56
London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Charlie Chaplin statue in Leicester Square

Go to http://www.secret-london.co.uk/STATUES.html for listings (and pictures to help you recognise them)