We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambridge VS Oxford- What do you think?

Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv...
6 posts
Save Topic
Cambridge VS Oxford- What do you think?

Hi

we are couple (30+) visiting London on the first week of Sep 04-10,

we are planning a daytrip to Cambridge since we heard it is beautiful and very nice for 1 day trip but we are not certain we are not missing on Oxford…. What do you think?

We plan to take a walking tour and explore the town. Do you have any other recommendations?

Which train is the "fast train" to Cambridge?

Thank you very much,

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cambridge VS Oxford- What do you think?

Cambridge is a great choice and at least by the colleges rather bucolic with animals grazing. I would look into getting a bus from the station to the college as unlike most towns is on the edge of the city. Our tour guide told us that it was to try to ensure the Cambridge lads couldn't get to London and carouse easily-which of course didn't work.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cambridge VS Oxford- What do you think?

I think the distance of the station from town is more to do with the town being much older than the railways. By the time anyone knew that a railway line and station would be useful, much of the centre of town was built up, so they put it where they could, but I agree that getting a bus or taxi into the centre of town (depending on budget and number of people) is a better option than the long, boring walk into town.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 11:57
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cambridge VS Oxford- What do you think?

>> think the distance of the station from town is more to do with the town being much older than the railways. By the time anyone knew that a railway line and station would be useful, much of the centre of town was built up, so they put it where they could, but I agree that getting a bus or taxi into the centre of town (depending on budget and number of people) is a better option than the long, boring walk into town.<<

The Victorians weren't averse to knocking down a few buildings to put railways and stations where they wanted them. It happened a lot in London, and in Newcastle they even got rid of parts of the castle - to this day the viaduct runs inches from the castle keep.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cambridge VS Oxford- What do you think?

Personally, I'd choose Cambridge for a daytrip, but that's partly because I spent four nights in Oxford a few years ago, and this year I'll be staying within easy walking distance of King's Cross station.

It's more important to have reasonably good weather in Cambridge than Oxford, because you'd be more likely to spend more time outdoors there. Even for a strong walker, I'd suggest a bus

from and to the train station in Cambridge. Youl'll be doing enough walking while there.

In either town, get there in time for the walking tours offered by the respective tourist offices.

-- Steve

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cambridge VS Oxford- What do you think?

The river is much more a part of the city in Cambridge than in the other place and King's College Chapel is incomparable. If you are there during the school term, try to attend evensong and King's College Chapel, especially on a day when the choir from King's College School sings.

It is a very special experience whatever your religion.

kings.cam.ac.uk/events/chapel-services.html

I lived in Cambridge for 7 years and certainly was always told that the railway had been permitted to come to Cambridge only on the condition that it was far enough away not to corrupt the undergraduates.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 22:37
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
745 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cambridge VS Oxford- What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKuHYO9TM5A

As a local resident I'm biased towards Cambridge.

17. Re: Cambridge VS Oxford- What do you think?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 07:19