We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Notting Hill carnival with a five year old

London
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Notting Hill carnival with a five year old

Where would be the best place to go with a young child to let her experience a bit of the carnival atmosphere on Monday. We are styling at the Thistle in Kensington so getting around is no problem. I was thinking of going somewhere close to the start Monday morning then getting away before the crowds get to heavy.

Any tips, or anywhere close by that would be less busy?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$140.13*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,957 reviews
from US$144.25*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
515 reviews
from US$97.54*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
814 reviews
from US$97.54*
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Notting Hill carnival with a five year old

Speaking as someone who took her four year old on a Monday, I would simply say don't do it. Much better vibe for kids on the Sunday.

London
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Notting Hill carnival with a five year old

Thanks for all the advice.

Does anyone know of anywhere near the area that will be having kid friendly activities including music and such. Perhaps some local community centres? This would save us getting stuck in the middle and still enjoy the carnival atmosphere. Seeing the parade is not the big thing for us.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Notting Hill carnival with a five year old

There was face painting stall in the park just round the corner from westbourne park station last year plus food stalls etc or try elmsie horniman pleasance park which is at the side of the main parade but plenty of space for kids. Food stalls run on the road outside.

Castlederg
Level Contributor
542 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Notting Hill carnival with a five year old

Get off tube at westbourne grove/park. As said there is a place beside canal all geared up 4 kids, (and plenty 4 adults also. ) Take a blanket or ground sheet , if u want to save a few £ take your own food/drinks. But all catered for if you don't fancy lugggin stuff with you. Parade passes beside it so you don't miss anything.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,303 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Notting Hill carnival with a five year old

I'm intrigued by the comments about the Monday. I'm used to big crowds (the two milion for Silvester in Berlin's "party mile" is on our annual agenda, as is the 300k+ for Piromusical in Barcelona) and also very tightly packed ones. I can't imagine Notting Hill has anything like the person density of Tarragona's Baixada del Aliga or Berga's Patum (where this year I was in direct physical contact with seven different human beings at the same time, only one of whom I'd been introduced to). Most of those events, even the midnight fireworks, have many small children. What's the difference? Are we just worse people? BTW - I'm not taking kids, mine are both 6'4" and can make their own minds up, but I would like to know if there's anything special I should be looking out for, over and above petty crime.

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Notting Hill carnival with a five year old

pandachris2 at 3pm on the Sunday last year a lot of the roads were impassable, literally could not move for people as far as the eye could see. Not pleasant, and if thats children's day, you can keep adults day!

London
Level Contributor
140 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Notting Hill carnival with a five year old

Panda, every year the police mount a large pre carnival operation to interdict gangs planning on turning up at the carnival for easy pickings steaming through the crowd and gangs squabbles. But a few still turn up and Monday is the main day for it especially come late afternoon and evening. As I said you have to be unlucky to get caught up but being able to read the mood and know your way about helps.

Years ago there would be running battles in the street come dusk so it is a safe place to go just need to be aware of whats around you but I would never take a child to a Monday afternoon/evening

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,303 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Notting Hill carnival with a five year old

Thanks both. I'll keep my wits about me and get there before 3 p.m.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Notting Hill carnival with a five year old

As above comments re: not Monday - that's the day the gangs travel/try to travel in and when the police try to intercept/kettle them before they can arrive at the carnival to fight/mug/stab - so moving around might be harder if more roads than usual are closed.

yes.. I know it's only a small minority but it happens EVERY year and mostly on the Monday, so taking a child is better on the Sunday.

The Trident unit has already this weekend arrested 112 as a preventive measure to try and cut down on the 229 arrests in 2012, so with luck it will pass relatively peacefully....

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Notting Hill carnival with a five year old

^^ Talk about scaremongering. Sunday is kids days but Monday is no longer the gangfest your post suggests.