We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snack differences

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
2 posts
Save Topic
Snack differences

I have a random question and thought I would throw it out to the forum. I am visiting London in Sept. and while there, I will be meeting a local friend for the first time. As a novelty type of small gift I would like to bring a few snacks or treats that they don't have over in the UK. I just have no idea what that would be. I would appreciate Any suggestions!

Thanks!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,024 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Snack differences

I had about eight au pairs who each brought me a bottle of their local

fruit liqueurs. When my son went to university I made him take them all with him. They were very popular with female undergraduates.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snack differences

+1 to the statement about Hershey chocolate. The nearest taste match to that here for those who have never tasted it is 'chocolate flavour cake covering' abomination that no self respecting soul would use in place of the real stuff.

I saw Ghiradelli chocolate mentioned on the other thread and that is far more acceptable and actually made me retract my blanket refusal of all American chocolate

NH
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Snack differences

Peanut butter. I have to mail it over several times a year to my friends. Theirs is not at all the same.

Whittlesey, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Snack differences

Second the Peanut Butter M&Ms, I also wish I could get some Foxes U Bet Syrup to make egg creams

Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Snack differences

+1 Ghirardelli chocolate

Edited: 21 August 2013, 19:31
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Snack differences

All the different varieties of M&Ms (like almond, peanut butter) and Twix would go down very well with me. I'll have a Cookies & Cream Twix, please.

North Carolina
2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Snack differences

oh, you guys are great! This is precisely what I was looking for. And to Parklandwalk @ post # 8 - I do not know this person except as a pen-pal, but there was a discussion at some point that led me to believe they liked to try things like this. I have learned a few new things from you guys today... :)

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Snack differences

My daughter brought me some miniature Hershey bars back from a trip to the US, they taste like cooking chocolate and after a little while smell and taste of cooking oil, love chocolate but had to give it to the dog, perhaps bring something to do with peanuts or pecan nuts have heard the US are pretty good with said nuts when making snacks.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,042 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Snack differences

+2 for Ghirardhellis. Made a point of visiting them in San Francisco recently. Love their chocolate

My son used to bring home blue cheese dressing and wasabi soy almonds when he was in college in the US. Apparently, you can get them in the UK but they almonds aren't the same

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
196 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Snack differences

Dicanio....have you tired wasabi pea's?

they are also a wonderful crunchy snack !