We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Cake - ???

Michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Cake - ???

Last time we were in London, we had cake - a white sponge cake with jam and powdered sugar and if I can recall, it was called Victoria or Queen Victoria - is that right?

We will be back in London in a few weeks and I would love to have it again - any suggestions on a good place (bakery or restaurant) in London where I would get this - also the recipe.

Just YUMMY!!! :-)

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$140.15*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,957 reviews
from US$144.27*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
515 reviews
from US$97.56*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
814 reviews
from US$97.56*
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,898 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

VIctoria sponge cake/sandwich is very widely available from cafes to supermarkets. M&S sells prepacked slices in their food hall usually near the sandwich/food to go aisles as well as wholecakes in the baked good area. Cafe wise you should find it all over the place very often in museum and gallery cafes, or somewhere like Bea's of Bloomsbury.

One recipe (i'm sure others will have their own):

bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1997/classic-victori…

Edited: 22 August 2013, 10:00
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

Not saying my recipe is better, but because our OP is from the US and may not be familiar with metric measurements:

200g is about 8oz - or:

I use 3 large eggs.

Weigh the eggs and then use that same amount of butter, caster sugar and self raising flour to make the cake batter

20cm (baking tins) is about 8 inches

Michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

Thank you so much. I can't wait to have it again. I will definitely look for the pre-packed cakes to bring home. I will give the recipes a go; fingers crossed.

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

Just to clarify post 2, 200g is 8 ounces *by weight* but not 8 ounces (1 US cup) by volume. Each ingredient has its own density, so 1 c flour = 125 g but 1 c butter = 2225 g. Most Americans I know don't have scales in their kitchens, so using an equal weight of flour to eggs will not be any easier than doing the standard concersions. There are websites that will do the conversions for you if you google them. And if you happen to have a copy of The Joy of Cooking, there are weight/volume conversion charts towards the back.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,898 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

NeedTravelInfo - There is a Metric to Imperial convertor on the site I linked to, incl oven temperatures.

Michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

Thank you!!! :-)

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

I have always used 6 oz. flour (plus a little baking powder), 6 oz. sugar, 6 oz. butter, and 3 eggs. I mix the sugar and butter first, then add the eggs, and then the flour/baking powder. I do the mixing with a hand-held electric whisk/blender, which produces a fairly liquid mix, which is unconventional, but works remarkably well.

I think that 200 g is actually 7.0548 oz.

It had not occurred to me that this cake would not be widely known in the USA.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

For a basic sponge, I use a 3 egg mixture for a 7 inch tin, weigh the eggs (shell on) and then use the same amount each of butter (or soft margarine), sugar and self raising flour, don't need baking powder but whisking the sugar and fat very well is important. It works every time and one of my DD's friends now uses it to make celebration cakes to order.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

Thanks for the tip marg001 seems like a very easy recipe.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

Another issue is that American flour is not like UK equivalents. They use Cake Flour which always seems lighter than self raising flour. Hopefully it will work with US flour and the cake will not sink because of the greater amount of rising agent