We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Cake - ???

Michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Cake - ???

Last time we were in London, we had cake - a white sponge cake with jam and powdered sugar and if I can recall, it was called Victoria or Queen Victoria - is that right?

We will be back in London in a few weeks and I would love to have it again - any suggestions on a good place (bakery or restaurant) in London where I would get this - also the recipe.

Just YUMMY!!! :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

There are various types of flour in the US. I regularly substitute British plain flour for American recipes calling for "all purpose flour" in US receipes with no ill results. Cake flour is called for in a few American recipes, but all purpose flour is much more usual. My understanding is that cake flour is ground to a finer texture than all purpose/plain flour, but I am not aware of it having any raising agents in it.

Self-raising flour is rare in the US, but it's easy to substitute by using all purpose flour with baking soda/baking powder added. You can find out how much through a simple google search.

Manchester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

My recipe

Go to Tesco

Find the cake aisle

Find Victoria Sponge Cake

Purchase said cake

Take home ,brew up ,open box

Cut cake into 4 or 6

Devour cake whilst supping hot tea.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

My more indulgent version of this recipe (to serve two):

Cut cake into quarters.

Eat one quarter each.

Eat one remaining quarter each.

Using a spoon, eat up any cake, cream, or jam remaining in the packaging.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

Try something different and from London and try Tottenham cake. Sponge topped with jam and coconut.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

I know Tottenham cake as being a sponge cake covered in pink icing and then coconut. It is baked in a large tray tin before being cut into squares.

It has its origins in Tottenham's Quaker community and derives from baker Henry Chalkley who originally sold these pink spongy squares at the price of one old penny. Smaller odd-shaped pieces were sold for half a penny. The pink icing is thought to have come from the mulberries which were found growing at the Tottenham Friends burial ground. Nowadays, pink food colouring is used as the topping before the coconut is sprinkled on top.

Although not directly linked with the football team, it is suggested by Lord Ted Willis that in 1901, the Tottenham cake was given away for free to local children to celebrate the Spurs’ FA Cup victory.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 18:30
Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

jonathanquinn has the recipe spot on!

It has come down to me through mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and great-great grandmother who made cakes for Edward VII when (as Prince of Wales) he was a regular visitor to the great house she worked in for the shooting season. I can cite no better authority for it.

GGGM's fruit cake is amazing too but if I disclosed it mother and sister would kill me!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,199 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

Its important to have the butter and sugar at warm room temperature and beat them until white and fluffy Fold in spoons of the flour gently turn by turn with the beaten egg. You can add a little warm milk.

If you just blend them all together you get pound cake. Or Madeira cake.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

The thing with a Victoria sandwich cake is that it must be moist, too many Victoria sandwich cakes are disappointingly dry, and it must taste buttery, eggy, and only slightly of vanilla, an overwhelming taste of vanilla overwhelms the buttery, eggy taste. And I would never use strawberry jam - too sweet and cloying - but raspberry or damson jam which adds a slight kick.

Try this Mary Berry recipe bbc.co.uk/food/…mary_berrys_perfect_34317

Edited: 22 August 2013, 19:43
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,312 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

Tottenham Cake still present and accounted for at Percy Ingle shops; thanks, Pamjo, for the background info.

Cake flour isn't nearly as common in NoAm kitchens as all purpose flour. The former has a protein content between 8% and 10%; all purpose flour from 9% to 12%. The lower protein content of cake flour will make a more tender product, important in something as deceptively simple as a Victoria sponge. English plain flour has a protein content of about 7% to 10%. English strong plain flour is good for bread, with protein content 12% to 15%.

All ingredients need to be at room temperature to make a good sponge, whether fatless or the genoise type. If you use a recipe that calls for melted butter, it should be melted but not hot when added to the mix.

Mmmm, cake.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Victoria Cake - ???

I see that Mary Berry doesn't even mention vanilla essence in your list of ingredients and it is only mentioned as optional in the link provided by another member earlier, good news, would not add vanilla essence at all.

Too many shop bought Victoria sandwich cakes reek of vanilla essence and it spoils the taste.