We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to use the Tube

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
60 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
How to use the Tube

We are arriving at Heathrow and we need to get to Plaistow and we already have our Oyster .

Cards. I figure I can find the Piccadilly tube at the airport and board there. Do I just swipe my Oyster card through a reader and go through a gate to board the train? I thought I would transfer to the District Train at Hammersmith or South Kennsington stops or should I change trains at Action Town?. My question is how do you transfer trains? Do you just get off one and walk over to the other line? I don't want to have to pass through a gate again and pay another fare if I don't have to. Please walk me through this. New York City was a piece of cake so i hope London is the same.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,599 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How to use the Tube

Just one hint. Hammersmith definitely best change point. Get on the District Line train only if its destination reads Upminster, Dagenham East, Barking or Plaistow. If it says Mansion House or Tower hill, wait for the next one (usually only 3-4 min), or you may have to lug your bags over the bridge at those stations, which have a stub line for trains terminating there.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
60 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How to use the Tube

A real nice B&B that is a short walk (300M) from the tube and just over a 2K walk or bus to Westfield Mall.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How to use the Tube

and it's pronounced plar-stow not play-stow

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,326 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: How to use the Tube

Do you happen to have a link for it, Norm?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How to use the Tube

Plaistow is not an area that immediately springs to mind when looking for somewhere to stay. Handy for West Ham United though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How to use the Tube

Actually, Amos, it's 'plass-toe', not 'plarss-toe'! And I like the thought of Action Town! That's a great improvement!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,807 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: How to use the Tube

that's Plah-sto (to rhyme with snow), not stow (to rhyme with cow)!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: How to use the Tube

From the Mile End Road to the matchstick Beacontrees .... I'd like to see a link for this B&B as well, please.

The 241 will take you to Westfield; Stratford has good options for travel to central London with the Underground, DLR, Overground and National Rail trains (to and from Liverpool street. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/plai… There are 30 steps up from the train platforms to the ticket hall at Plaistow; don't forget, you will need a zones 1 - 3 Travelcard.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
60 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: How to use the Tube

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d209194…

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
60 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: How to use the Tube

And thank you for the bus schedule I didn't know I could take a bus473 to London City Airport. I have a flight out of London City to Venice and I was going to just take a taxi.