We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trafalgar tours

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape May, New Jersey
1 post
Save Topic
Trafalgar tours

Has anyone taken a tour with Trafalgar? Thinking of a 19 day tour of Britain and Scotland in August 2014. Any comments?

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,586 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trafalgar tours

"Thinking of a 19 day tour of Britain and Scotland in August 2014. Any comments?"

Scotland is in Britain (and before anyone else says it.....At the moment).

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trafalgar tours

I have had a look a Trafalgar Tours, and Spicy is not to blame, on their itinerary site you can choose from;- UK, Britain, Scotland, Ireland or Wales. Strangely enough Britain and Scotland are listed separately but no mention of England. Very odd.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trafalgar tours

I have taken a tour of Britain with Trafalgar and really enjoyed it! I strongly encourage you to book through affordabletours.com. They give a significant discount and provide tremendous customer service. Trafalgar is also offering a 10% discount on tours for 2014 if you book now. You can get that discount through affordabletours.com.

As far as the tour goes, you will need to weigh your personal travel needs against what a bus tour provides. I like to see lots of major sites, have a guide who provides background information and have the logistics handled for me. They deliver suitcases to your room, so there is no struggling up stairs with heavy bags. The hotels and food are not world class, but the accommodations are clean and food is very good considering the size of each group and the budget they have to feed us. You can always plan a special dinner on a free night if you want a gourmet meal or two. The guides and drivers were truly excellent on both of our Trafalgar tours. Some people don't like all the optional tours that cost extra. I think it's a good thing that I don't have to pay extra in the base price of the trip for excursions I don't want to participate in, I.e. if you've already seen the Picasso Museum you can do something else and didn't subsidize that part of the tour by paying for it initially.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trafalgar tours

Scotland will always be in Great Britain and the people of Scotland will always be British. The issue is whether they want to be part of the UK or independent. The island is still called Great Britain.

Baltimore...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trafalgar tours

Well I just returned from a 16 day Trafalgar tour of Britain and Ireland and wouldn't say I would recommend it. The tour is very rushed with little time available to see some of the towns visited. The hotels were clean but typically in out of the way spots and while sufficient were not very nice overall.

The worst part was our guide who seemed to really care less whether we were satisfied with our experience. He didn't provide good instructions including timelines for our day (one day we had lunch at 2 pm then a planned dinner at 4:30 pm). He told us to always return to where the bus left us but then moved the bus. He also didn't realize he had left several people behind on walking tours on more than one occasion. They only provided information regarding the optional tours in each location but no other information on what to see or where to eat. The optional tours were quite costly so we didn't do them but there were several people on our coach that were disappointed by them. Buyer beware!

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trafalgar tours

I used to work in a shop in Oxford which got lots of customers from Trafalgar tours. They were, almost without exception, disappointed by the short amount of time they had to enjoy each stop (doing, for example, Stratford on Avon AND Blenheim AND Oxford in one day, which is time to tick boxes, not experience places)

Have you thought about planning a trip independently instead? With a good guidebook you could identify the places YOU want to see.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,756 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trafalgar tours

Does it 'hit' all the places you want to see? Or does it do ones you are not so interested in?

So easy to get around the major cities in the UK and cheap flights to save time if you don't have too much luggage.

There are many day tours leaving each city too.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trafalgar tours

would love to do that IF you will allow my husband drive on the right side of the road.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
638 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trafalgar tours

We've used Trafalgar 2x. Wasnt wild about the lst one but gave them another chance about 5 yrs later since I liked the tour. IF I have to take a tour, because of travel between destinations, I feel CIE or even Globus is better. We've been coming to London on our own for years and doing day trips either by train or if far out, by tour bus .

CIE does Ireland, Wates, Scotland and England. We did separate tours of Ireland and Scotland thru CIE and were very satisfied. Restaurants they used were much better and you had a choice as to what you wanted to eat,unlike Trafalgar where the meal is set, either eat it or not. Many nites I did not eat their meal and had to stop in a store for either fruit or a sandwich.

Hotels on most tours are out of the city center with little to do unless you take an added tour. CIE did not do added tours.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trafalgar tours

Thanks ronadebra. I hate staying at a hotel outside the city it's annoying not to mention boring.