We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for next trip

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
553 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for next trip

I've been home a month, and I'm ready to come back to London! I'm starting to make a list of places to see for next trip (hopefully next summer).

Places we didn't make it to and definitely want to see:

Tate Britain

St. Paul's (have been to London twice and haven't managed to get inside yet. Last month got there and it turned out to be an early closing day.)

National Portrait Gallery

Sir John Soane's Museum

Imperial War Museum

Places I want to go back to:

British Museum

V & A

Other ideas:

Day trips to Salisbury, Bath, maybe Oxford (huge Inspector Morse fan), Windsor Castle (went a long time ago, so probably worth revisiting)

St. Albans

Warwick Castle

Places I won't go back to this trip (loved them, but too soon)

Tower of London

Westminster Abbey

Parliament tour

Churchill War Rooms

Museum of London

London Transport Museum

Hampton Court

I love history and art. I have no desire to go to places like Madame Tussaud's. I'm not really interested in the London Eye (afraid of heights). So I'm looking for other ideas of maybe some more offbeat places to see. Suggestions welcome. We'll probably be there about two weeks, so we'll have time to explore at a more leisurely pace. Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for next trip

If you have 2 weeks why not slip in a day trip to Cambridge as well as visiting Oxford, no Morse in Cambridge but the place is worth a look-see, and from there you can either walk to Grantchester and have afternoon tea in the Orchard tea-rooms where the poet Rupert Brookes lived, or visit nearby Ely with its famous cathedral.

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for next trip

I would suggest 2 days in Oxford if you can swing it. Spend one day in Oxford itself and the other day going to Blenheim Palace. You could maybe spend 4 days going from Salisbury to Bath to Oxford before going back to London. Saves you some back-and-forth.

Have you been to Canterbury? Greenwich? Kew Palace and gardens? I tend to suggest UNESCO world heritage sites. Though I have found some better than others, they usually make that list for good reason.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for next trip

I am linking my last two trip reports. I've been slowly working my way through my incredibly long to-do list. Rest assured, Madam Tussaud's is not on the list.

2011 trip - tripadvisor.com.au/…32925183

2012 trip - tripadvisor.com.au/…44315946

Virginia
Level Contributor
617 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for next trip

I think the Dulwich Picture Gallery and the Wallace Collection are two must see museums if you love art.

5. Re: Ideas for next trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 September 2013, 09:18
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for next trip

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-…

Many visitors like this museum

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for next trip

http://www.wmgallery.org.uk/

A little bit of a journey to the outskirts of north east London but its very good.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for next trip

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions - keep them coming! I will be checking all of them out. I also forgot to say I've always wanted to see Durham Cathedral. Is that feasible for a day trip? I've been to Edinburgh, but it was a long time ago. I didn't get to see Holyrood House because the Queen was in residence, so I might think about returning there. I have been to Kew Palace and Gardens, but I haven't been to any of the other suggested places. These are exactly the kinds of ideas I am looking for. Thanks so much for all of the help!

9. Re: Ideas for next trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 September 2013, 09:18
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for next trip

The Cotswolds!