We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daughter wants to live in London

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
545 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Daughter wants to live in London

Daughter just got back from vacation in London and now has decided she wants to return and live there for a while, immigration isnt a problem as she is already a British citizen by decent as i was born there.

What i'd like to help her with is some online resources that she can use to get an apartment and a job, she doesnt need much more than perhaps a 2-3 room apartment, she seems to like the south side of the Thames around Lambeth.

While she is willing to take almost any low paying job to start she does hope to work up, she has just finished a 4 year degree in environmental sciences/technology.

Thanks for any info

Jim

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Daughter wants to live in London

Try the Lonely Planet's Thorntree - it's more set up for young people wanting to stay for a while.

Just to note the British economy is bouncing along the bottom - unlike Canada's, most low paying jobs are done by eastern Europeans and that she would be far more marketable if she got a few years experience first in a "real" job that uses their degree

Also London is one of the most expensive places to live on the planet - most people her age would be able to afford a flat share rather than a place to herself

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Daughter wants to live in London

" Any low paying job " won't fund a 3 room flat in Lambeth.

Maybe look online at some recruitment agencies ?

My friend's kids who graduated very well last year all seem to still be fighting over unpaid internships , so the graduate job market is not good.

London, England
Level Contributor
277 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daughter wants to live in London

I would echo what others have said about the UK job market and stress the need to get some top notch experience and internships on her cv before she comes over.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daughter wants to live in London

Perhaps she can look in New Scientist magazine? They have plenty of science related jobs listed. Are you funding this adventure or are independently wealthy? A 3 bedroom flat in London is probably going to run to well over £1200 (equiv $1800 CAD) a month. Far more than she'd get from a job after tax.

Look on "right move" for long term accommodation.

Btw don't expect this thread to last very long relocation is not a topic that's allowed.

Finally be aware that nearly everything in the gumtree and Craigslist sites regards accommodation is a fraud, they are full of scammers. I merely mention as they may come up on searches you or she does.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,506 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daughter wants to live in London

If she's just looking for some expereince living in london and isn't bothered what job she does then she could apply for something in the tourist business, hotels are a good place to start and although in london they don't give you board they do have addresses of cheap lodging.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
545 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daughter wants to live in London

Its just a bachelor pad she's looking for, While she has finished university she has worked at the local Starbucks coffee shop and is currently maning the phones as an emergency dispatch operator.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daughter wants to live in London

Joe

<< A 3 bedroom flat in London >>

Didn't you read the original post properly ? The OP asks about a "a 2-3 room apartment" So that's one or 2 bedrooms, lounge, kitchen and Bathroom. A Studio flat would be more feasible for a low paying job.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 09:25
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,528 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Daughter wants to live in London

http://www.gumtree.com/flatshare/london

A room starts at £100 per week. 40 hours at minimum wage is £250 per week which would give a tax home pay of around £225 a week - though due to UK tax laws it's likely until April 2014 she would not pay tax bringing it up to £240 per week. Deduct £35 per week for a zone 1-3 Travelcard (monthly and longer are cheaper) so her theorectical "free" cash becomes £90 per week at most. A significant portion of that will disappear into basics like food. She will also need medical insurance as she won't be covered by the NHS for several months

All of which assumes she finds a job (or these days more likely to be several jobs - look up "zero hour contracts" to be really scared) that together bring in enough to be the equivalent of a full time job.

Really the best idea is or her to gain experience using her degree, save several thousand pounds, then move to the UK when the UK economy picks up and her experience will help her get a decent job.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Daughter wants to live in London

Amos. I read it properly !

If you look on Rightmove you will see that 1 bedroom flats in Lambeth are £800 a week upwards.

Hence me saying that a low paid job won't fund it.

Flat sharing is the way to go. Still very expensive though.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daughter wants to live in London

Yep I misread room for bedroom. My bad. Doesn't make a huge difference to the economics though very few graduates would be able to turn up in London and live in a self contained flat just on their salary. If they could get a job.

Does she have a British passport ? I know you said she is a citizen by dint of your birth, but does she actually have a passport, rather than being eligible for one? That will be a tortuous process to apply for one and she will need it to get a job so getting started on that first would be a plan.