We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Tea in London

San Francisco
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
High Tea in London

. Can someone recommend a place to have afternoon tea in London? Harrods, Ritz or somewhere else?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$127.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$150.00*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,871 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Tea in London

High tea is available at Fortnum & Mason and a few other places that serve a hot savoury as part of the meal. But high tea is a different matter from afternoon tea, usually small sandwiches, cakes and scones with jam and cream.

I think the Ritz is overrated, and wouldn't consider Harrods as a destination for afternoon tea. Are you looking for a smart hotel tea or a more modest affair? If the latter, consider tea at the restos at the British Museum or National Gallery if not Fortnum. For a smart tea, consider the Dorchester, Claridges, the Capital Hotel or the Savoy.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
922 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Tea in London

The Dorchester always provide excellent afternoon tea in thr Promenade.

London, United...
Level Contributor
722 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Tea in London

I'll give your four places for afternoon tea, the main difference being price (and subsequently service and quantity). Quality is great on all places;

Very affordable http://www.thedelaunay.com/counter "the counter" is a stylish cafe adjacent to a more formal dining place.

The best price/quality ratio: http://www.thewolseley.com/

A bit more expensive: chesterfieldmayfair.com/bar-and-dining/after…

Really expensive, but also very good: fortnumandmason.com/c-209-afternoon-tea-fort…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,328 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Tea in London

I too agree with the suggestion of the Dorchester.

There are a few other notables, such as Claridges (suggested above by TP), The Lanesborough, The Goring, The Corinthia and The Connaught.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High Tea in London

The Dorchester is our favourite, followed closely by the Athenaeum.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High Tea in London

the OP was for high tea rather than afternoon tea...

as wtp stated high tea includes a hot dish/savoury..on British rail restaurant cars until the 1980's you could get high tea which often included grilled plaice and new potatoes...or welsh rarebit with grilled bacon...that sort of thing...

out of interest out of all the places mentioned above does any of them offer a high tea please?

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: High Tea in London

I had experienced Ritz which is good with respect to cost. And if you want to know some other places then i would recommend you "Dean Street Townhouse", it is a good hi tea place budget wise and location wise.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: High Tea in London

"the OP was for high tea rather than afternoon tea"

The OP was unclear. The title referred to "high tea": the question to "afternoon tea".

There may be the odd American who understands about high tea: but if they do, they wouldn't then talk about afternoon tea. It's 99.9% likely the poster wants to know about afternoon tea.

But, FWIW, thge Dean Street Townhouse DOES offer high tea. To confuse things, though, they include high tea in their afternoon tea menu.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High Tea in London

thank you!

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High Tea in London

My vote goes to Browns - quintessentially English and the place where Agatha Christie wrote 'At Bartram's Hotel'.

For a quirkier interpretation of afternoon tea try Bob Bob Ricard or the Oxo Tower.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 09:11