We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

S. Kensington, Islington, Bloomsbury for 2 week stay?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California, USA
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
S. Kensington, Islington, Bloomsbury for 2 week stay?

I've gone though pages and pages of archives and I think I'm ready for some advice now that I've narrowed things down. We're looking to rent an apartment for about two weeks next year. It will be our first time so obviously we'll be hitting the usual tourist sites and maybe a day trip or two. But with that time we also want to stay in a place where we can settle a bit into the neighborhood.

As reference, when we're in Paris we always stay in the upper Marais (3rd), and have begun spending more time around Oberkampf and the Canal St Martin. In New York we always stay around the Bowery, East Village, or Greenwich Village. I'm looking for a place that ideally has many cute boutiques and independent shops, vintage clothing stores, and mid-range and ethnic restaurants, gastro-pubs, bakeries and food purveyors.

Right now I'm thinking South Kensington, Islington, Bloomsbury? Any other suggestions would be welcome as well. Thanks so much.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,436 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: S. Kensington, Islington, Bloomsbury for 2 week stay?

Shops, pubs and restos are plentiful throughout London. What isn't nearby (within walking distance) should be easily reached by transport. Bloomsbury is certainly the most central, with Islington next and South Ken a close third.

Having said that, Islington and South Kensington as descriptors are used liberally by flat rental agencies, so if you have any properties you're considering, please provide the links.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: S. Kensington, Islington, Bloomsbury for 2 week stay?

From your description, I think islington around upper street would suit you best, boutiques, cafes, restaurants and pubs are plentiful.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,352 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: S. Kensington, Islington, Bloomsbury for 2 week stay?

Location wise, I'd choose Bloomsbury.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,775 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: S. Kensington, Islington, Bloomsbury for 2 week stay?

For ease of getting around I would say Bloomsbury, but for somewhere more fashionable it would have to be Islington. Plenty of individual shops, bars, restaurants, gastro pubs etc. It is also near to Hoxton and Shoreditch which are the current uber fashionable areas of London.

5. Re: S. Kensington, Islington, Bloomsbury for 2 week stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 06:21