We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster and travelcard

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Oyster and travelcard

Hi, me and my partner are travelling to London in Sept. I have read a few articles about Oyster and Travelcard, to be honest I'm not a smart guy and I find them confusing. In order to make sure I don't get them wrong, here is my 6 days travel route in London:

1st day - from Heathrow -> Central London -> Stratford -> Central London

2nd - 4th day - Travelling to 5 places within Zone 3 each day in average

5ht day - Central London -> National History Musuem -> Central London

6th day - Cnetral London off to Eurostar station and off to Paris

My questions:

1. Should I buy Oyster PAYG or a daily travel card? (I assume 7-day travelcard is out of the picture, but correct me if I was wrong) Most of my travel starts before 9am.

2. This website shows that the rate of Oyster daily cap in comparison to travelcard is slightly different. Which adds the confusion. londontoolkit.com/briefing/travelcard_oyster…

3. Can I get my refund at the Eurostars station if there is balance (some said max 2GBP refund?) and how long does it take?

Thanks

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Oyster and travelcard

"Just wondering if it was so bad, why would it exist in the first place?"

To make money out of tourists who think "it must be a good thing" and haven't questioned it on this forum.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,426 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Oyster and travelcard

"Just wondering if it was so bad, why would it exist in the first place?"

There are other cities in the world where such a pass can be a good deal, as no one is offering any other way to save money seeing the major sites. London, however, has the daysout 2-4-1 offers, subsidized by National Rail.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Oyster and travelcard

Thanks people! I have finally dropped the idea of LP and go for 7-day paper TravelCard to get the 2FOR1. I have read quite a bit of information and hope to clarify/ confirm these questions:

1. On my 1st day of arrival at Heathrow, I plan to use PAYG oyster to travel from Piccadilly Line and stop at Blackfriars to buy the 7-day paper TravelCard. After that, I will continue travel to my hotel which is near to Aldgate East. Does it sound right?

2. How much deposit do I pay for PAYG? Can I get the refund before I leave London?

3. I am advised to register and print 2FOR1 vouchers prior to my arrival. Right? Or would it be fine to ask the national rail ticket officer to issue me the vouchers?

4. In case if I changed/ adjusted my date of visiting a certain 2FOR1 attractions, can the printed vouchers still usable?

5. The 7-day paper TravelCard covers all the tube and bus lines within the zones I purchase, am I correct?

6. If I were to buy Zone 1-2 TravelCard and needed to travel out of zone. How do I use it together with my PAYG?

Again, thanks and appreciate everyone who helps

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,166 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Oyster and travelcard

To take points 1 and 2, don't bother getting an Oyster card just for this journey, pay the cash fare. OK it is £2.00 more but is the saving really worth the faff? Then get your seven-day paper travelcards at Blackfriars (remember to go to the NATIONAL RAIL ticket office!!!) to start immediately and use these to continue your journey to Aldgate East.

I would print off vouchers, as there is a possibility that Blackfriars Station may not have the leaflets. Another National Rail station may well have them though. The vouchers are not for a set date so it doesn't matter when you use them.

Re point 6: if you are planning to travel out of zone (you mention zone 3 in your original post) then buy a travelcard which covers those zones. PAYG Oyster cards and paper travecards do not work together.

BTW I don't know if another post covers it, but you must supply a passport-sized photograph - one for each travelcard. These will be made up into a photocard at Blackfriars.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 13:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Oyster and travelcard

I would not break the journey at Blackfriars. Aldgate East is a short walk away from Fenchurch Street station. I would travel to my hotel first and then proceed to Fenchurch Street to buy the paper travelcards.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Oyster and travelcard

Thanks for the tips and confirmation! The picture is getting clearer!

Is there a reason why I shouldn't break the journey at Blackfriars? Do I have to wait long for the travelcard purchase? Or could it be the rush hour that delays the train?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Oyster and travelcard

If you break the journey at Blackfriars, you have to get off a train which is bound for Aldgate East, exit the tube station, go into the national rail station and buy your ticket. Then you have to go back into the tube station and wait for another train. Trains are frequent (2-5 minutes), but this is still wasted time. Presumably, your partner will wait on the platform looking after your luggage while you do this.

If you go all they way to Aldgate East, you will be able to leave your luggage at your hotel and then walk the 10 minutes or so to Fenchurch Street. Some of the Aldgate area hotels are even closer to Fenchurch Street station than that. You partner can accompany you or wait somewhere nicer than a tube platform.

If you were changing trains at Blackfriars, I might have other advice, but in the circumstances, you're adding to a joruney time when you have just got off a long haul flight.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 16:38
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Oyster and travelcard

Agree! Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,436 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Oyster and travelcard

Where is your hotel 'near Aldgate East'? If you've booked the Ibis Budget Whitechapel, it's nearer Whitechapel station than Aldgate East. There are stairs up from both platforms to ticket hall and street level, but given the option I'd use Whitechapel.

Let us know more, please.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Oyster and travelcard

Hi TravelPlus, it is Ibis London City