We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire car pick up at Heathrow.

Ladner, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Hire car pick up at Heathrow.

Apologies if this has been posted before.

I am flying in to Heathrow terminal 3 and have pre booked a rental car with National.

It is my understanding that the actual pick up is outside the airport proper. Do the car hire companies provide a shuttle service to the pick up location?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
London
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire car pick up at Heathrow.

Yes, shuttle buses pick up outside arrivals. In the UK the Alamo and National brands are part of Europcar, so look for the green Europcar bus.

Check your car with a fine tooth comb before leaving the rental depot, there have been a lot of unhappy posts on this forum lately about damage charges.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire car pick up at Heathrow.

"Check your car with a fine tooth comb before leaving the rental depot, there have been a lot of unhappy posts on this forum lately about damage charges."

Especially the wheels and tires, even scuff marks. And if you have a camera or camera phone take photos of the entire outside of the car. That way, if they "spot" a scratch and claim you caused it, you can check against your photos (date stamped) as to whether it was there when you rented the car.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 19:17
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire car pick up at Heathrow.

I should add that the complaints about damage charges aren't specific to National/Alamo (in fact I don't recall a complaint re them). But there have been regarding other rental companies so don't take chances.

Ladner, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire car pick up at Heathrow.

Thanks for the heads up re damage charges.

5. Re: Hire car pick up at Heathrow.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 05:18