We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Architecturally significant pubs? For a crawl?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Architecturally significant pubs? For a crawl?

Hi

I am trying to organise a Stag weekend for my friend in London, and he is an Architect, so I was thinking it would be nice to organise a pub crawl of Architecturally significant pubs in London, and possibly present him with a fact sheet about each pub and the history of the building and area?

Its just an idea at the moment, and wondered if something like this would be possible?

If this wouldn't really be an option, would there be any other themed pub crawls you could recommend? He know's about the Monopoly one already, so I would like to avoid that one, as I would like it to be a surprise?

Thanks

Stewart

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Architecturally significant pubs? For a crawl?

Start with the George near London Bridge, which is owned by the National Trust. Ye Old Mitre is also old (16th c), but I believe it is closed Saturdays and Sundays. Also closed at the weekend (but open Friday night if that's part of your weekend) is the Old Bank of England, which is housed in the former law courts branch of the Bank of England.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Architecturally significant pubs? For a crawl?

There are several organised (i.e. you pay for them) pub crawls. Search for 'London pub crawls' at the top of this page.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Architecturally significant pubs? For a crawl?

Don't think there is one area where there are a bunch of interesting looking pubs. If you are on a stag night, shorditch has a few interesting old pubs that survived being turned onto flats, the one that stands out for me is "the ole axe" on hackney road, it's interior ceilings are stunning and it's conveniently a strip joint which may suit your evening? I used to work on the hackney road 20 years ago and it was a strip joint then, in fact practically every pub in the area was. If looking at naked women is not your thing, you can just admire the ceiling...lol.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,272 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Architecturally significant pubs? For a crawl?

Agree with GRBS

Would add:

The Lamb in Lambs Conduit Street

Wetherspoons Liverpool Street Station

Essex
Level Contributor
27,476 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Architecturally significant pubs? For a crawl?

Some others are

The Blackfriar

The Princess Louise

The Dickens Inn - originally an old warehouse..

The Prospect of Whitby

But they are not exactly near each other and crawl-able...

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Architecturally significant pubs? For a crawl?

The Mayflower in Rotherhite is a really interesting pub, IMO, and is significant for being where the Pilgrims set sail from and also the oldest pub on the Thames in London still in existence.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,171 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Architecturally significant pubs? For a crawl?

I see that CAMRA have a category of listed ( ie the buildings are protected) pubs.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Architecturally significant pubs? For a crawl?

Lamb and Flag on Rose St in Covent Garden?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Architecturally significant pubs? For a crawl?

I went on a pub crawl many years ago starting at the Blackfriar and then going over the river and east ending up at The George. Both of these are architecturally interesting and worth a visit, but (possilbly for ale-related reasons) I can't remember which others we visited in between. If you're going to be in reasonably good order you could certainly include a visit to one of the bars up The Shard and I'm sure with a guide book you could find a few more along the way.

London, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Architecturally significant pubs? For a crawl?

Princess louise in Holborn had the only listed Victorian gents in London but the authorities made the owners remove the goldfish from the cisterns. The original stoneware is still there though and the bars have been re-established as Victorian closets

Down the road at the Cittie of York near chancery lane the historic central heating system where a cast iron fire in the middle of the bar area circulates hot air round the building is different.