We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested Itinerary for 2 day trip to London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested Itinerary for 2 day trip to London

Hello,

My mom and I will be taking a tour of Europe in November 2013 (London-Paris-Venice-Rome). Our first stop will be London. We arrive at Heathrow in the the morning of 11/23 (around 10:00 AM) and depart via EuroStar at noon on 11/25. I'm currently working on our trip itinerary but am a bit conflicted on what to do. My original thought was:

11/23- explore London via the hop on/hop off bus. I'm estimating we'll be at our hotel around 11:30 AM so we wouldn't catch the bus until 1;00 PM.

11/24- Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath tour, which will take the entire day.

11/25- rest up before we depart on EuroStar at noon.

Since this is my mom's first time in London I'm a bit hesitant to venture outside of London, but I REALLY want to visit Stonehenge and see more of the countryside. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on what we should do?

Thanks in advance!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested Itinerary for 2 day trip to London

Are you taking the tour just to see Stonehenge?

If it were me, with that short amount of time, I wouldn't leave London.

There are tours that are half day trips just to Stonehenge. Be aware that this will be five hours in total; four hours of travel for one hour at Stonehenge.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested Itinerary for 2 day trip to London

Stonehenge is my main draw, but I'm interested in visiting Windsor Castle and the Roman Baths as well.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested Itinerary for 2 day trip to London

You seem to have half a day on 23 rd, arriving from Texas, probably later than you think and with jetlag, where you plan to see London, and one full day on 24 th where you plan a coach trip. That is really the entirety of your time in the UK as I don't count breakfast on day 3!

Honestly, you won't be able to do much on your first day, so leaving London for your only full day seems a bit perverse. It could be dark quite early in late November if it is cloudy.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
5,818 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested Itinerary for 2 day trip to London

Stonehenge is not just round the corner. I think you're trying to cram too much in! This is especially so in November when the days are dark and the weather can involve half-frozen rain for hours at a time....Stay in London that middle day and come back again another time to do the countryside and Stonehenge.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested Itinerary for 2 day trip to London

I must say it seems strange to travel all the way from Texas, and then spend only about 1 and a half "tourist" days in the UK. Lets face it you only really have one afternoon (23/11) and one full day (24/11) in the UK.

But to then leave London on the only full day (24/11) to spend hours on the coach to probably have only an hour at Stonehenge, and perhaps two hours at Windsor and two hours in Bath, seems even more strange.

I do wonder why the tour was organized like this, with such a short time in the UK. Most people would say London alone can easily justify a week, let alone time for seeing other parts of the UK.

Do you have a similar amount of short time in each other country, because if so the amount of time you spend in each country does not seem to justify the expense of the travel and hotels.

P.S. I doubt you will be in your hotel by 11:30 on the first day. I am no expert on these things but would guess 12:30 or 1 pm is more likely.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested Itinerary for 2 day trip to London

p.s. just in case you are not aware, Bath is about 120 miles from central London, over 2 hours travel time from London by coach.

Trying to do Bath and Windsor and Stonehenge all in the one day does no credit to any of them.

This trip does seem a little like how many countries (and places) can we visit in a short time. Reminds me of the film from many years ago called "If it its Tuesday, this must be Belgium"

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested Itinerary for 2 day trip to London

Thank you to those of you who provided constructive feedback! I think we will go ahead and forgo the trip to Windsor, Bath and Stonehenge (via Premium Tours) and just focus on London while we're there.

And for the record, I visited London around the same time last year so my estimate on arriving to the hotel is based on what occurred then. If conditions have changed drastically then we'll adjust our schedule accordingly.

Thanks again!

8. Re: Suggested Itinerary for 2 day trip to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 05:17