We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription Drugs

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
176 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Prescription Drugs

My husband has a prescription for fentanyl 50 milligram patches and has read that they are not allowed in England. Apparently the maximum dosage allowed in the country is 45, which aren't even available in the U.S. For insurance reasons we can't substitute two 25's. The patches last three days and he will have three for the duration of our trip. Any advice?

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription Drugs

I have prescription patches prescribed by my GP in the UK. The patches have various names so Fentanyl is probably a US brand name and not one I am familiar with. You really need to discuss this with your Doctor, I very much doubt anyone on this forum is qualified to offer medical advice.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 01:58
Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription Drugs

A letter from your doctor should be all that is required, but I've never been asked about prescription drugs when I've visited the UK. If they don't ask, I wouldn't worry.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
176 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription Drugs

Not looking for medical advice. He's already been diagnosed. Just wondering if anyone with controlled prescription drugs have ever had issues with customs.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription Drugs

From the OP's post I am presuming this is a pain killing drug administered through a patch which has to be worn constantly ?

In which case it sounds very similar to the patch I have to wear, and in the UK it is a controlled drug and is adminstered under strict conditions as prescribed by my GP and Pharmacist. The pharmacy actually have to store it in a secure area, and I have to personally sign for it to be released to me.

Hence my advice that the OP should consult their doctor, and not rely on spurious advice offered by unqualified folk.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription Drugs

<< Not looking for medical advice >>.

As I said in my earlier post, brand names will differ so I am not familiar with Fentanyl. If it's defined as a controlled drug which many pain killing patches are, you should seek medical advice.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescription Drugs

Fentanyl is the generic name; in the UK the trade names are Durogesic DTrans, Tilofyl and more.

I've not seen 45mg patches in North America, just 25, 50 and 75mg patches. I suggest your husband ask his Pharmacist for a copy of the prescription, should there be any questions asked about the patches. Having said that, it is very unlikely that they will be questioned at Customs, since that process usually entails a quick walk through the Nothing to Declare channel.

With that copy of the script he will have proof of need, which should be sufficient for his having three fentanyl patches.

Controlled drugs and narcotics are stored in (keyed) safes in NoAm as well, Bluebreezer, and in the States need to be signed for by the recipient. But since Mr mysister'ssister has - it certainly appears - a preexisting condition that requires him to use the patches, he should be able to take them with him to the UK with documentation.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 02:46
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescription Drugs

I bow to TP's greater knowledge on these matters, and I mean that as a compliment TP.

I can only speak from my own experience and I am on a constant dosage of Buprenorphine patches. Here in the UK they are classified as a controlled drug to the extent they are locked away in a secure location, and can only be released to me the patient, on receipt of my signature saying I have personally received them.

That goes some way beyond the usual supply of medication in the UK.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 02:56
Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
176 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prescription Drugs

Thank you Traveller for your post. My hubby is freaking out and I'm thinking with the box the patches come in, a letter from his doctor, and the fact that he's 62, we'll be fine. He's worried they will be confiscated and he can't function without them.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Prescription Drugs

Here we go

<<https://www.gov.uk/travelling-controlled-drugs>> explained in Very Small Words by the government.

Assuming you are coming for less than 3 months you'll be fine.

They do seem to want the doctor's letter to specifically reference your itinerary which the one you have in hand may or may not do.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prescription Drugs

yes in Canada as well all narcotics are very controlled and at the chemist /pharamacy usually always under lock and key. Thats is until one takes them home.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 10:18