We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London for 2 Days - Advice on Hotel Area and Transportation

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
London for 2 Days - Advice on Hotel Area and Transportation

Hi. My husband and I will be in London for two days/nights in May 2014. I have no experience with London, so it's really overwhelming! Can anyone give advice on the best area to stay in for just a short trip like this? We will arrive at Heathrow on Friday morning, and leave from St Pancras Station on Sunday morning.

We are likely to take taxi from hotel to airport, and again from hotel to train station, unless we can line it out so it's easy to take the train (hotel near train depot and easy route). We have never lived in an area where we take trains/subways, so it's a bit frightening to us and we want it to be as easy as possible. Any advice here on where to stay and how to transport would be greatly appreciated!

While there, we plan to do a tour to Stonehenge (and hopefully an English Castle or Manor), and a general city sights tour (either a hop on hop off bus-I saw Harrods and several others- or a more private taxi type tour). Again, any recommendations would be great. Also plan to do Churchill War Rooms, but have not researched beyond that.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London for 2 Days - Advice on Hotel Area and Transportation

With just two days in the capital, including a day out to Stonehenge will leave you with essentially one day for sightseeing in London itself; you may wish to rethink that plan.

Milllions of people ride transport in London every day, many of whom will have been unfamiliar with the system before starting their journeys. The Piccadilly line is a straight shot from Heathrow to the city centre; book a hotel near King's Cross station and you'll make a step free journey with travel time about an hour.

There are a few hotels within walking distance of King's Cross and St Pancras that might suit. A new Premier Inn (to be called the PI St Pancras) is due to open later this year, and may be just the place for you. Another PI in York Way and a third near Euston are also well worth considering. Have a look at the Megaro Hotel and the Pullman St Pancras.

All are within 10 minutes' walk from King's Cross (adjacent to St Pancras) and all are well linked to transport in central London. Have a look and see what you think.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Megaro
Hotel Megaro
2,719 Reviews
London, UK
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,062 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London for 2 Days - Advice on Hotel Area and Transportation

If you only have one full day in London, as you do, no idea why you would want to use that time to take a trip outside of London to see some standing up stones in a field.

Plenty to see in London to take up the small amount of time you have. As TravellerPlus says, stay near Kings Cross/St Pancras and no need for any taxis - simple direct journey from the airport on the underground and walking distance for getting the train.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London for 2 Days - Advice on Hotel Area and Transportation

Yes, we do have basically only one day in London. It was not a planned stop on our vacation, but Stonehenge is on my husband's bucket list, kind of like the Pyramids, spectacular to see one time. So, we rearranged to give London one day for Stonehenge and one day to look around, and will come back on another visit to actually see in depth.

I LOVE the King's Cross suggestion! I looked up PI St Pancras and it appears to be open...is there another one being built nearby, or do you think this is the same?

premierinn.com/en/…london-kings-cross

I believe this will make our travel much simpler and save on taxi :) Thanks so much for your advice!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,231 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London for 2 Days - Advice on Hotel Area and Transportation

I too would not attempt a day out esp as you have things like the Churchill war Rooms you intend doing in London. Do try and stay on the Piccadilly line - no need to be right by Kings Cross unless you have a ridiculously early departure. Very easy - and much cheaper than cabs - by tube from Heathrow and on to Kings Cross. Earls Court/South Kensington/Gloucester Road/Green Park/Holborn/Covent Garden/Bloomsbury should all provide hotel choices at various budget levels. You'll do the tube once and wonder how you ever managed without.

Mentioned in this post
Churchill
Churchill
Worcestershire, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,892 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London for 2 Days - Advice on Hotel Area and Transportation

Laura, I would definitely forget about Stonehenge, bucket list or not. I live in the UK and I have never been there! I don't feel as though I have missed out on anything.

If you did go to Stonehenge, I would say that would wipe out most of one day, which would leave part of Friday to try and cram in the Churchill War Rooms and a sightseeing tour. If you are jet lagged at all you may find that most of that day also turns out be a wipe out.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,472 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London for 2 Days - Advice on Hotel Area and Transportation

Agree with others--with such a short time, I would forego Stonehenge. You would need to travel four hours round trip to see the stones for one hour. That's five hours out of your day--surely you can see and do a lot more in London with that time?

If you want to see a Castle, visit the Tower of London, which, despite the name, is a Castle. Try to get there at opening time and then go straight to the Crown Jewels. Once done, take a tour with the Yeoman Warders.

Don't get over anxious about the underground or tube. It is extremely easy to use--well signed and color coded. I had my 10 year old son navigate me across London as a sort of test, and he was able to manage.

Here's a video to watch that walks you through using the London Underground...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCnwEiz1vIE

You will probably also want to read about Travelcards and Oyster cards. You do not want to purchase expensive single ride tickets.

See the articles under Top Questions, this page. The Travelcard in particular may save you money, depending on the sites you want to see.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London for 2 Days - Advice on Hotel Area and Transportation

Laura S, the PI you show in your link is the hotel in York Way. The new PI St Pancras isn't open yet; I think the planned date is either late this year or early next. When I saw the building in July it was heavily scaffolded with much interior work being done. Look to the PI Euston for an idea of what to expect at the new property, a few metres east of that.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London for 2 Days - Advice on Hotel Area and Transportation

Thanks! I was able to find it and get a reservation...hopefully they will complete on time :) I looked up the others, but they do not book so far in advance.

9. Re: London for 2 Days - Advice on Hotel Area and Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 05:18