We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight near St Pancras or near Gatwick for 830am flight?

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
126 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight near St Pancras or near Gatwick for 830am flight?

Hi. We have an 8:30 am flight from Gatwick on Fri Sep 20th (international). I would like to be at the airport around 6 or 6:30 am. From the looks of things, we would probably need to board the First Capital Connect train at 4:54 am from St Pancras (or perhaps the 5:12 am one). We only have 3 nts in London (arr Tues, leave Fri) and will be staying near St Pancras stn. For those of you familiar with things, would you rather spend Thurs night at the same St Pancras hotel and just be up and on the move so early, or are there hotels close to Gatwick that you would prefer to move to later on Thurs evening for the night? If so - which do you recommend? We're pretty budget minded, 200 pounds per night or less...

Thanks for your help and opinions.

London
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight near St Pancras or near Gatwick for 830am flight?

I should think the Gatwick hotels are a lot cheaper than in London, so if you are budget conscious I'd stay in Gatwick. I'm sure you can get a nice room for about £50.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight near St Pancras or near Gatwick for 830am flight?

I would opt for Gatwick. It's quite a way from central London and you will have the comfort of knowing that you are already at your destination, avoiding nasty travel glitches on the day.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
126 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight near St Pancras or near Gatwick for 830am flight?

wow that was quick :)

Moving out towards Gatwick is what I was leaning towards, thanks. Can you point me towards any specific hotel recommendations that would have an easy connection to the airport for the morning?

I hope this doesn't sound rude - but there's not really much to "see and do" out that way is there? (I'm thinking we'll want to finish our sight seeing while in Central London and then move out that way later in the evening?).

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,237 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight near St Pancras or near Gatwick for 830am flight?

There is a Travelodge at Gatwick which should be reasonable. No, there's nothing to see in the Gatwick area but Brighton is less than 30 minutes away by train from Gatwick.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,699 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight near St Pancras or near Gatwick for 830am flight?

I have stayed at and like the Courtyard by Marriott. They've had rates around the £52 (prepaid) to £74 (flexible) recently. It's walkable from the South terminal (and it's easy to the North terminal from there if needed), very quiet even when packed to the rafters, and in good condition. Check with your airline whether you can drop any hold baggage the night before in which it's a dream. You can just go through Security about an hour ahead of departure.

The Sofitel is actually adjacent to the North Terminal, but usually a lot more (£120-150 IME) but even more convenient

No there's not a lot in the vicinity if you stay at one of the hotels that is genuinely walkable to the terminals. Unless you go for somewhere more luxury/spa like (Alexander house for example) and make more of a treat of it. might as well go down later in the evening (subject to twilight check in if applicable).

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
126 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight near St Pancras or near Gatwick for 830am flight?

thank you all. done - courtyard marriott it is! appreciate your help

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight near St Pancras or near Gatwick for 830am flight?

Just for the record, the immediate Gatwick area is a bit of a cultural desert (which airport isn't) - but drive for 15 minutes and you're in the beautiful countryside of mid Sussex with its world famous gardens and one of the world's best preserved steam railways, The Bluebell Railway. Add in some pleasant villages, great pubs and real locals - and you have enough to justify a couple of day's stay without even venturing near Brighton. And it's just a short taxi ride to the airport in the morning - so no need to stay in some corporate mega-hotel. The Ockenden Manor will be somewhere rather more memorable, or The Chequers at Slaugham on a budget. Both are in nice villages.

Sermon over, here's the website : http://www.midsussex.gov.uk/7783.htm

Mike

8. Re: Overnight near St Pancras or near Gatwick for 830am flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:17