We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gatwick 14 hour daytime layover

Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
gatwick 14 hour daytime layover

i would love to go to the national Museum Big Ben Covent gardens any other ideas? Is there a less expensive way to get from Gatwick to the regular train? was there in July fairly simple from heathrow

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gatwick 14 hour daytime layover

First Capital Connect services into London from Gatwick are cheaper than Gatwick Express. These go to lots of stations but usually St Pancras.

You can then take the Piccadily (blue) line of the underground to Holborn for the British Museum.

Covent Garden has it's own station on the Piccadily Line.

If you get off at Green Park, you can walk through the park, past Buckingham Palace, through St James's Park, down Horse Guards Parade, past 10 Downing Street, see Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament and possibly go up the London Eye. Then walk to Waterloo and take the Northern (black) line back to St Pancras.

Hope that helps but I'm sure you'll get better answers. You need to think about storing your bags and how long you have as to whether you can do all these things. But all that stuff is very crucial so I'll leave it to one of the experts who's done this before, rather than me ill-advising you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gatwick 14 hour daytime layover

I should add this journey takes about 45 minutes whilst the Gatwick Express takes 1/2 an hour.

The Gatwick Express goes to Victoria and it's only 2 stops on the Circle/District line to Westminster. So a bit quicker if you're going to Westminster area only (you could do the walk, the London Eye and perhaps the Duck Tour or HOHO bus) but if you want to do Covent Garden or British Museum, you'll have to change trains so perhaps the First Capital Connect service is faster overall.

London
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gatwick 14 hour daytime layover

You can certainly get into central London in that time. The precise recommendation on travel depends on time of arrival / time of onward flight / day of week / how many travelling (yourself or a group). Are you on one itinerary (one booking number) or separate tickets? These affect what we're likely to recommend. Let us know those details please.

The recommendation will be a train - there is no faster way into London - but there are lot of ticket options.

4. Re: gatwick 14 hour daytime layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:18