We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cable car confusion.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cable car confusion.

Haven't been to London for sometime and the cable wasn't built on my last visit.

What is the difference between these two listings:-

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d3432…

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g186338-d44…

What time of day is best to visit the cable car? I will be in London in December, so the days will be short. Don't want to find myself near the cable car late in the day if transport is a problem from the South Bank to Central London.

Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cable car confusion.

I haven't looked at your links, but the South Bank IS Central London.

There's a cable car in Greenwich, which is about 5 miles away if that is what you mean?

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cable car confusion.

There's no difference! One is listed under it's full name and the other not. There's only one cable car.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cable car confusion.

Thanks for the link OP, I didn't know this existed! I will definitely add it to my to-do list when I visit in December.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,575 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cable car confusion.

What #2 says. They are the same thing. TFL signed a sponsorship deal with Emirates to brand the London/Thames cable car as "Emirates Air Line". It operates from close to North Greenwich (tube station/O2) to Royal Victoria (close to the Excel), so outside central London straddling zones 2 and 3.

I haven't used it yet. As far as I'm aware you don't get Emirates Sky Rewards miles for flying it (about two), though like the originally branded "British Airways London Eye" it wouldn't surprise me for people to be bombarded with lots of cheesy airliney marketing gunk.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cable car confusion.

Best time to visit is on a clear day (not too hot and not damp) and I'd say mid morning when the sun is still in the south-east.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cable car confusion.

I really enjoyed it last summer, though I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to visit it.

The view up the Thames at dusk, as the sun sets in the West, is absolutely lovely though.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cable car confusion.

I went on it a couple of years ago on a nice, warm, clear sunny day. The views are very good.

Make sure you top up your Oyster card with enough credit, then you can by-pass the queues of people buying tickets. It works out cheaper with an Oyster card too.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,838 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cable car confusion.

There's a Traveller Article about it that might be of interest:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c180036/Lon…

I agree that having two separate review threads about it is confusing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cable car confusion.

I travelled on the Emirates Air Line on Saturday. There is not usually much of a queue. The cost charged to my Oystercard was £3.20 (one way). A much better all round experience than the London Eye.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,957 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cable car confusion.

I went on it several months ago. I bought a 360 ticket, and on my return trip I was the only one in the capsule! It was quite windy, and it started swaying a bit, which made my slightly nervous as i don't like heights. If you have a Travelcard you get a discount.