We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any big supermarkets close to Heathrow?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
30 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Any big supermarkets close to Heathrow?

Hi,

I'm flying into Heathrow late October at around 5pm, and my next flight doesn't leave until 5pm next day. I'll be staying close to the airport but before checking in I'd like to go out to visit a big supermarket. Is there any that is close to LHR by bus? I can also take the tube if it's not too far away.

Thanks!

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,356 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any big supermarkets close to Heathrow?

Where are you staying as near heathrow covers a very large area?

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any big supermarkets close to Heathrow?

You can get a 285 bus from the Central Bus Station to the Tesco store at Dukes Green - it takes about 20 minutes on a bus there. Or you can take the Undergound to Hounslow Central where there's a large Asda store. I think these are the easiest by public transport

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any big supermarkets close to Heathrow?

You may have other plans but, depending on where you are staying, you could get the Underground into Central London in 35 minutes and have a lot more fun for the day you are there than at a supermarket!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any big supermarkets close to Heathrow?

It does seem like a very odd question?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,239 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any big supermarkets close to Heathrow?

There is a large Asda store 5 minutes walk from Hounslow Central station ( direct tube journey from Heathrow Central).

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,781 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any big supermarkets close to Heathrow?

With a layover that long, I'll agree with others that staying near Heathrow is not your best option. You can do quite a lot with 24 hours, and you can take the tube into London from Heathrow.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any big supermarkets close to Heathrow?

What do you want to buy ?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any big supermarkets close to Heathrow?

Tesco has a very limited variety in all stores, big or small. And not that cheap nowadays either, now they've got a big share of the little corner shop market, two, maybe three variants of each product, three versions of salads, drinks, sandwiches, cheese, tinned food, but in the big stores you'll find several billion of these variants stacked high on the shelves. Unless they've run out, which they often do. Asda and Sainsbury's do the same but to a lesser degree.

Try Waitrose or Marks and Spencer if you want good stuff and a greater choice.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any big supermarkets close to Heathrow?

There are two - actually 3. Tesco Osterley (big), Tesco Southall/Hayes (big) and Asda Hounslow (big).

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,781 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any big supermarkets close to Heathrow?

This is a rather pointless discussion until we know *why* theOP wants to visit a grocery store. Edible souvenirs? A cheap meal? Stocking up on someone's favorite biscuit?

OP--help us out!